• Register Today It's free!

Engine Swap / Rebuild

puzzaa

Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer
Since I had my transmission swapped from a donor 2000 explorer 4.0 SOHC into mine, Ive decided to swap the engine as well.

My current engine is coming up on 240k, the parts truck has 140k miles.

I have no problems with my current engine, however I do get terrible gas mileage and im just waiting for the timing chain cassettes to break because they have never been replaced.

I would like to swap the lower mileage engine into it (as it should have less wear and did get better gas mileage when i drove it around).

I have started work on it and everything is ready to go the 140k just has to be lifted out. The 240k engine is still in and kicking, as its my daily driver but i am starting to hear a rattling noise (which I cant tell if its piston knock or the chains).

Now my question is, when i get the 140k engine out and on my bench what parts should I replace so I wouldn't have to pull the engine again once it is in? Im going to change out the timing components and maybe even do the head gaskets while I am at it. Are there any common wear components that I should look into while the engine is out? I could purchase a rebuild kit, but id like to know if there is anything else that commonly fails on these engines. Also Ford oem part numbers/links would be helpful!

Also would I need a timing tool if I were to replace the timing chains? As far as I know they are all intact and working so I should be able to pull them off and put on the new ones without messing up the timing? I've done belts before with timing marks for alignment but never chains with no marks, so any advice is helpful.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wouldn't install a 140K mile engine w/out first replacing all of the timing chain components with a Motorcraft Timing kit. Otherwise you could end up with TC rattle again immediately, or shortly thereafter. The 4.0L SOHC engine's have been know to develop TC problems at as little as 75,000 miles. You've been pretty lucky to have gone 240K w/out problems. The bottom ends on the 4.0L's are very durable, but you might want to put in a new oil pump and water pump while you've got the engine out.

What is your current MPG? These engines get pretty poor fuel economy even when new. 13 around town would not be unusual.

Do you have a link to that timing kit or part number? Does it include everything I would need to swap out all the timing components that are prone to failure (with the upgraded 6 leaf design)?

Okay so new timing kit, oil pump, and water pump. Head gasket would a good thing to do while the engines out right? anything else?

And do you have any information in regards to if I need the timing tool?

I get about 13 MPG on the highway on a good day (ie no major wind), when I do just city driving I get about 10. Not sure why but the 140k engine did get better mileage (around 18 on the highway) when I took it home for the first time.

I know im very surprised with this engine. Either I got lucky with it or Ford made some good engines. My dad used to own it and id say the longevity would be due to maintenance. Full synthetic oil changes every around 10k miles, he always told me engines will last forever if you spend the extra money on quality oil and do it frequently. Maybe I will do the upgrades to the 240k after it is out as well and keep it as a backup.

In regards to the MPG it could be because of the donor truck body. It was a xlt like mine, but it was upgraded with the fender flares, window rain guards, and 16 inch rims. Maybe the aerodynamics play into this, not so much as the engine

Brand New Ford OEM Timing Chain Kit 4.0L V6 SOHC 10 Piece Kit 4L2Z-6M290-AA

Seems to include everything except gaskets and seals. Prices vary. This kit was listed for $549.

555ba407ce30c_358991s.jpg

Link:
Brand New Ford OEM Timing Chain Kit 4.0L V6 SOHC 10 Piece Kit 4L2Z-6M290-AA

You don't need to remove the heads to replace the TC stuff and the aluminum 4.0L SOHC engine is not known for blowing head gaskets unless overheated,

There's a special tool for holding the camshafts in place. You can find them on eBay, borrow one from the auto parts store or sometimes from other forum members.

Link:
OTC Ford SOHC 4.0L V6 Cam Service Tool Kit Timing Chain Camshaft Valve Train NEW | eBay

You should do better than 13 on the highway. I agree to replace all the timing components, oil pump, water pump, and all the regular tune up items before reinstalling.

You should do better than 13 on the highway. I agree to replace all the timing components, oil pump, water pump, and all the regular tune up items before reinstalling.

Yeah, the SOHC and the 5.0 get pretty much the same MPG (depending of diff ratios). My SOHC gets around 15 around town (rural) and 20 'ish highway with 4:10's. My 5.0's actually do a bit better with 3:73's.

fast_dave did message me a link to a eBay Timing kit and water pump assembly and said his coworker used this kit 5 years ago and its still running strong. I would prefer Motorcraft/Ford parts on something this important, but if this kit proves to match oem quality at half the cost then that would be pretty nice. Anyone else have any advice or experience with this kit? Just trying to get an idea of how different brands will hold up.
Timing Chain Kit Wat Pump: Land Rover Ford Explorer Ranger Mazda B4000 4.0L 669145206403 | eBay

Back