Engineering mode on 12" display | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engineering mode on 12" display

Post number 2 has been selected as best answered.

MikeHTally

Reaction score
City, State
Tallahassee, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
For quite a while, you could engage Engineering Mode by pressing the Start button while holding "OK". Surely, I'll need to back down the "AFE" setting for MPG, or forever have to add X% when I fill up. How is that accomplished?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know if it works but I found this Mike.

Hold the button while you start it and keep holding it. It’s the Engineering Test Mode.
On my F150 it was the only way to get to a Speedo that would read over 120. It read at least as high as 174 before I bailed one night. lol

Hmmm. My Mustang, Escape, and the previous Explorer went into ET by just holding OK while pressing "Start". That didn't work on the ST. I'll try it again tonight.

For quite a while, you could engage Engineering Mode by pressing the Start button while holding "OK". Surely, I'll need to back down the "AFE" setting for MPG, or forever have to add X% when I fill up. How is that accomplished?
Hi Mike. Here is the thread for the 5th gen. I don't know if the 6th gen is similar.

Peter

I just tried it on the ST and sure enough, it wanted the motor running. I wonder why they changed it. I just tried the Mustang again. The motor did not need to be running to access ET. The Limited I just traded didn't either, nor did the '19 Escape. Two different 2020 Explorers - the only difference being the display type. I had that Limited down to an accuracy of 0.3 mpg or better. After a few tanks, maybe I can get the ST down to that. I turned its setting down to about 950.

Thanks all, for the input.

I just tried it on the ST and sure enough, it wanted the motor running. I wonder why they changed it. I just tried the Mustang again. The motor did not need to be running to access ET. The Limited I just traded didn't either, nor did the '19 Escape. Two different 2020 Explorers - the only difference being the display type. I had that Limited down to an accuracy of 0.3 mpg or better. After a few tanks, maybe I can get the ST down to that. I turned its setting down to about 950.

Thanks all, for the input.
I tried that this morning (Along with other methods) and it didn't work. Tried again after you posted this and it worked. Go figure.

I tried that this morning (Along with other methods) and it didn't work. Tried again after you posted this and it worked. Go figure.
That's a bit unsettling.

Back