Entertainment screen gone blank! Help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Entertainment screen gone blank! Help!

Aevans

Reaction score
City, State
New Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 ford explorer
Hi everyone! We have a '13 explorer with about 3000 miles on it. We have the myford touch screen and the entertainment screen on the homepage is blank. It shows absolutely nothing. To complicate things, the screen in the guage cluster to the far right where you can control some of the functions on the touchscreen says in the entertainment part "temporarily lost communication with the touchscreen." We have absoluetly no radio of any kind, sirius, am/fm, cd. Nothing! I know we have v3.0 on the software and I know v3.2 and v3.5 have come out. We went to the dealer and they said to go ahead and upgrade the software before anything else is done.
Has anyone experienced this? The rest of the screen, phone, information and climate are there and seem to be working fine. I'm just not too convinced that the upgrade will fix this, but I could be wrong. Also, the dealer said before we do the upgrade to unplug the battery for 5 minutes and than hook it back up and than do the upgrade. Is that something I should do?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!! Thank You everyone for any insight.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2 things come to mind tHat you can do to try to fix this before going to the dealer.

First, hit the "gears" on the bottom of the center console screen in order to access the settings mode. Click on settings, scroll down to Master Reset and punch that button. That should reset the MFT to the original factory settings. If it works, you'll have to re-pair your phones, and input any other saved settings, but that is a minor inconvenience.

If the Master Reset doesn't work, disconnect the NEGATIVE battery cable. Turn the key to start in order to discharge any current in the system. Turn key off, reconnect negative battery cable and restart. Let idle for several minutes to give MFT time to recalibrate.

If that fails, it's a trip to the dealer.

Good luck

Thanks for your reply briteboy. I thought about doing the master reset, so I guess I've give that a try. Do you think upgrading to the newer version of software would help or probably just a futal attempt? Thanks again for your help!

I don't understand. Why does'nt the Dealer just do all this for you? It's susposed to be under warranty is'nt it? If the screen is not working, it's not working....have them fix it......

Thanks for your reply briteboy. I thought about doing the master reset, so I guess I've give that a try. Do you think upgrading to the newer version of software would help or probably just a futal attempt? Thanks again for your help!

Hi, Aevans!

Updating to 3.2.2 may help with your entertainment screen. I also don't suggest a battery pull before you perform the update, a Master Reset will be just fine. :) Don't hesitate to send me a private message if you're still having problems!

Rebecca

Hi Rebecca.
Thanks for your message! We'll try the update. We did try the master reset which didn't help. The radio did come on this morning for about 15 minutes and then shut off and the entertainment screen went blank again. Weird. If the update doesn't work I'll send you a pm. Thanks again Rebecca!

Hi Rebecca.
Thanks for your message! We'll try the update. We did try the master reset which didn't help. The radio did come on this morning for about 15 minutes and then shut off and the entertainment screen went blank again. Weird. If the update doesn't work I'll send you a pm. Thanks again Rebecca!

:) You're welcome!

Rebecca

Hi Rebecca.
Did you ever figure it out mines doing it now

Did you ever figure it out mines doing it now
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
FYI, the member you quoted was last seen here on June 12, 2014. When you refer to the Entertainment screen do mean the MFT screen?
If it has died, you likely will have to replace the APIM ( Accessory Protocol Interface Module). It is the 'brains' of the MFT system.

Peter

Back