Erratic fuel gauge, 96 5.0 Explorer E.B. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Erratic fuel gauge, 96 5.0 Explorer E.B.

firepop5

Reaction score
City, State
floral park ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 EB
My fuel gauge moves erractically up and down while driving, sometimes triggering the "Check Gauge" light. It does this regardless of the amount of fuel in the tank, sometimes registering more gas than I have sometimes less. To prevent me from running out of gas I watch the message center in the console and keep it set to "miles until empty" function. This number of miles left goes down steadily and smoothly without jumping as I use up gas in the tank. The pump/sender was replaced two years ago with a dealer unit.

I would normally suspect the sending the unit for an erractic gauge. After looking at repair manuals and this site, its seems the message center miles left message is also controlled by the resistor in the sending unit. If this is true, I assume the problem is not the sender but in the instrument cluster. The manuals refer to an anti-slosh module and a cluster gauge amplifier. Are these two the same item or two different parts? Does anyone know anything about this module/amplifier? Can they be tested? Can they be replaced separately or does the whole cluster need to be replaced?

Back