Evaporator box seals | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Evaporator box seals

Reaction score
City, State
Summerton,sc
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 explorer Eddie Bauer
In removing the air box I discovered that the seals that go in between the air box and fire wall are not the greatest can you buy the seals precut or do I have to buy a couple sheets of material and make my own? ? Lmc don't have a listing for it can't find it on ebay nothing plz help I want to get the air box back in ASAP please any tips or information is greatly appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Since it's warming up outside, I'd head to a local hardware store and pick up some adhesive-backed foam strips for sealing doors. You can usually find it in rolls. It'll do the same thing for you.

If you want maximum cooling, you might get some aluminum tape and apply it inside and on the outside of the box. It may not do much but I've always imagined it as a space blanket kinda thing. Be worth a shot :)

Since it's warming up outside, I'd head to a local hardware store and pick up some adhesive-backed foam strips for sealing doors. You can usually find it in rolls. It'll do the same thing for you.

If you want maximum cooling, you might get some aluminum tape and apply it inside and on the outside of the box. It may not do much but I've always imagined it as a space blanket kinda thing. Be worth a shot :)

LIke ac insulation foam for windosw?

I used 1/8" butyl tape I had rolls of this tape already.

I'd agree the adhesive-backed foam is the way to go. I found a roll at Lowe's that is about 1/2" wide and 1/4" thick, and it's just dark gray/black foam but seems to do the trick. Works great since it will bend to the curve nicely without deforming. Also works for other foam gaskets like the one on the gas filler neck housing plastic.

So far it's holding up to heat, cold, water, dirt, sand, exhaust, etc. Time will tell if it lasts as long as the factory stuff or needs to be replaced more often.

You could also make your own rubber gasket from butyl tape or even get make-your-own-gasket sheets of the stuff at the auto parts store.

I'd agree the adhesive-backed foam is the way to go. I found a roll at Lowe's that is about 1/2" wide and 1/4" thick, and it's just dark gray/black foam but seems to do the trick. Works great since it will bend to the curve nicely without deforming. Also works for other foam gaskets like the one on the gas filler neck housing plastic.

So far it's holding up to heat, cold, water, dirt, sand, exhaust, etc. Time will tell if it lasts as long as the factory stuff or needs to be replaced more often.

You could also make your own rubber gasket from butyl tape or even get make-your-own-gasket sheets of the stuff at the auto parts store.

What is bityl tape where can I getbit

Butyl tape can be found at auto parts stores and auto body places. It's usually used for window seals.

You can find Butyl tape on ebay. Your best place to find it locally is an RV/camper supply store.

Is that for helping the cooling efficiency

Back