• Register Today It's free!

Free-Air Subwoofer in Back Panel

Edinite

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO area
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mountaineer AWD
Hey, has anyone tried using a free-air subwoofer in the back storage panel? This should only require a simple particle-board or MDF face panel to mount the subwoofer, then probably some acoustic padding in the space between the sub and the sheet metal. The free-air sub would require no box, just probably some sealing around the perimeter of the factory side panel. It would require more power and not bump quite as hard as a sealed enclosure, but it would be hella cheap & easy to construct, as well as save space like the megabuck stealth boxes. With no box on the inside, you might even be able to fit a 12"! Any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

dont think it would sound very good at all. it would definately raddle way to much

welcome to the site, i would agree it would rattle too much.... the interior panel is plastic, and its just clipped onto the metal walls of the truck..... normally freeair subs are mounted to a rear deck of a car and with the way a car is cinstructed the rear deck wont flex like the plastic panelclipped onto a metal wall....

Yeah, I didn't think of that. You would need to attach the panel to the sheet metal more solidly. Still, though, the solution might be as simple as adding some steel L-brackets in critical spots, and replacing the clips with screws where possible. I might experiment with this since I'm always looking for cheap solutions to expensive problems. :D

Aren't we all!?!?!

Edinite said:
...I might experiment with this since I'm always looking for cheap solutions to expensive problems. :D

;) Aren't we all!?!?! :D

Behind that panel wouldn't be considered free air, a car trunk maybe something like that, but just behind that panel isn't that much cu ft, I'd look to a "regular" order box, sealed, ported, abc, bandpass, horn, something like that.... And there aren't too many subs around any more that are good for free air.

Yeah, I know a preformed box would sound best, but before I bite the bullet & spend $250+ on a preformed box, or spend a week making one myself, I want to see if I can get some halfway decent bass using spare plywood and stereo stuff I already got in my garage. Net cost $0. You see, I'm both cheap and lazy. :D
I'll keep yall posted.

I hate cheap people, especially when I used to work at CC, that's the worse.

Do things right the first time and only pay once. Seeing as you're not spending any money on this free-air thing, you're going to end up doing double the labor in the end, I called it, you remember that.

True that, but I have much more time than money. Besides, nothing ventured, nothing gained. If it doesn't work, I can always spend more money. No need to hate. Stay tuned for results.

Edinite said:
True that, but I have much more time than money. Besides, nothing ventured, nothing gained. If it doesn't work, I can always spend more money. No need to hate. Stay tuned for results.

100$ ill have a 12" Sub, in a Box at your door that i know will most likely sound better than what your tryign to do....

wont work very well at all

the plastic pieces arent strong enough and will resonate taking away your sound.

you're best off to build a small mdf enclosure (should cost like $20) or try your hand at fiberglassing

Back