Excessive Force on external handles - Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Excessive Force on external handles - Explorer

Snipeye

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer, 1992
I currently own a '92, but I'm probably getting a '94 soon, and one of the problems I had with my current car is this: The external handles on the passenger side, both front and rear, started required extreme force to open them. The rear passenger stopped working entirely. I opened up the door from the inside, pulled off the front panel and set about digging around - I found a little rod, connected to the external handle, threaded. It looked like it was supposed to connect to some sort of actuator that would open the latch, but there was a plastic piece in the bottom of the door, broken in two. I cannot, for the life of me, determine what this piece is called or where to get a replacement. Help?

The car I'm possibly buying looks to have the same problem, so if it's not a terribly difficult fix, It'd make me feel better about the purchase.

...Also, I'm new to these forums. Any reason the word "and" always shows up as "pizza"?

Usually they're just referred to as a door handle rod clip, you can get them at the dealer, try to match it up with one in a multi-pack of clips in the HELP! section of various small parts at the auto parts store, or buy a multi-pack online.

You can also search this site using google and find quite a few threads on the clips and door issues in general;

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...OLyQHUjYHQBw&ved=0CF0QrQIwAA&biw=1521&bih=678

April 1 is pizza day.

Back