exhaust adapters

sport97

Elite Procrastinator
Reaction score
City, State
connellsville pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 sport SOHC 4.0
I'm looking at exhausts. To expand my search I allowed myself to look at mufflers what will require adapters. I honestly want something fairly or mostly quiet. I don't like the sound of a v6 very much. I'm pretty sure I want the flowmaster 70 series. Closest it comes is dual 2.25 inlets, which will match right up, and a 3" center outlet. I plan to clamp it in myself. I cannot for the life of me find (only looked online) a reducer for the 3" to use my 2.25" stock tail/resonator.

I don't really need exhaust opinionss like "you should get a magnaflow, flowmaster sucks." I didn't really care for any of the exhausts, and the sport really can get drone issues, so I went with something quiet and plan to use the res. Just need help with locating this reducer. I plan to order on advance autos site (i have coupon for 50 off 150)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have a welder or access to one? You could get a 2.5" to 3.0" adapter, I filled the gap with the weld. The glasspacks I used were 2.5" if I remember right. Worked great.

Or you could maybe go with a different brand of exhaust, unless your heart is on the Flowmaster. Got bored so I found one that would work by your sizes. :popcorn:

MagnaFlow Stainless Universal Performance Muffler:
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...316202-P_N3333C_P|GRP2023P_____BBV#fragment-2

It would be nice to get something that fits right up but I don't want something that loud. I know someone with a 4.0 stang with a magnaflow catback and its pretty loud. I've heard the magnaflow can get ricey and droney on the ex. Now if I had a v8 i'd be throwing glasspacks on, but alas, I have a v6.

Sporty, last time I went to Trader Horn they sold the 3"-2.25" reducer, that's gonna have alot of back pressure though. Since you go muddin' and drive through creeks and deep water I'd weld the system to seal it like we talked about before. I'll look around to see what I can find, what's your budget for this, just for reference?

two adapter ideas...

• get a 2.25" to 2.75" adapter, and get a muffler shop to use their pipe expander to make it to 3" - I think that is possible :scratch:
  • use an exhaust tip that has a 2.25" inlet with a 3" outlet in place of the adapter - might need to use a band-clamp since the 3" outlet pry will not slip over a 3" pipe :scratch: or get a muffler shop to expand it slightly so it will slip over

I bought an exhaust pipe expander from Harbor freight and did reducer my self.

just get the closest adapter you can and expand the end to the right size

Thanks for the help guys!

Jerry, You do make a good point about welding it up for offroading purposes. I would prefer it be welded, but being I don't have a welder or know how to do it, that's why I was looking at clamps.

I'll check around for the adapter, and maybe switch to the single inlet muffler, and run a Y pipe, I think that can get me the right outlet size. Or get a whole new tail section made, but I do want to run a resonator, Celly said he took his off and the drone was kinda bad, but he got an aftermarket resonator and it solved the issue.

I don't have a budget, so to say, but I dont want to spend too much. If I go with the 70 series I can get it for 100 bucks, someone had the correct size 50 series on craigslist, thats tempting. Then there is adapters, clamps, or labor to have it welded. I do tHink stainless is a better idea, but i don't want to pick a muffler just because it is stainess. I guess I can call up some shops to get quotes.

I've been doing some searches and I think i like the dynomax super turbo muffler instead. Its stainless (good for the winters here), its cheaper (good for my wallet) and sounds better. But I have a different fitment question:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2877547#post2877547

Edit: Ok, maybe its not stainless. Somewhere I thought I saw it was, but maybe not...

Back