Making my own exhaust / did any 95-01 Explorers have driver side exhaust? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Making my own exhaust / did any 95-01 Explorers have driver side exhaust?

htrdlncn

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Travis,Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 X-Sport
Just bought me a 3" inlet dual 2.5" outlet turbo style muffler,
I am removing the rearmost cat thats after the O2 sensor,the pipe
leading into it looks to be 3", so my plan is to replace it with a length
of 3" pipe to muffler and then use my stock exhaust pipe on passenger side
and either make or use an existing drivers side pipe for the other side.
Not only will it be mcuh cheaper but for now the smaller tailpipes will
give me some backpressure until I have the power to need bigger ones.
So far I have $26.50 for the muffler, $10 for section of 3" pipe, $20 for
couple sections of 2.25" pipe and reducers so if I can use a stock explorer pipe for the drivers side it will be one cheap custom exhaust!
I have seen newer Explorers with drivers side tailpipes, do any of the 95-01 have this? Thanks!

muffler
a532_1.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I guess the newer drivers side ones wont work because they are for IRS rear?

I guess the newer drivers side ones wont work because they are for IRS rear?

I doubt it, I think the gas tank moved to the passenger side for the 3rd gens so that's why they're drivers side exit. an exhaust shop would probably make that one pipe for you pretty cheap. Also you'll have to give up your spare tire if that makes any difference to you.

simple gas tank on one side exhaust on the other

What you are talking about is not drivers side exhaust, it is a simple dual outlet aft the muffler, a good exhaust shop should be able to find a way around your spare tire and rear end to make it look like you have dual exhaust

But then you are doing this yourself?
lots of bending involved just for looks IMO

simple gas tank on one side exhaust on the other

What you are talking about is not drivers side exhaust, it is a simple dual outlet aft the muffler, a good exhaust shop should be able to find a way around your spare tire and rear end to make it look like you have dual exhaust

But then you are doing this yourself?
lots of bending involved just for looks IMO

the muffler has dual outlets so yes I want one pipe on each side,
it will actually be less work than try to run two pipes out one side since I already have one of the pipes.
I can reuse the passengers side so all I need is a drivers side pipe made up.
90% of the stuff people do their cars is just for looks, in my case it will also sound good. As for the spare tire I got rid of that dead weight the minute I drove it home, with the shorter tires on it now and the fact its a 4x4 the huge stock spare is basically useless. I have AAAplus with 100miles free towing if my can of flatfix and portable compressor cant do the job.
And yes I am doing it myself, I do most my own work, In 30 years of driving cars I can count on one hand the number of good and honest mechanics I have dealt with so I have a pretty complete shop,tools,compressor,welder,etc
and whatever help I need I have a good freind who does fabrication for a living.
We just finished totally rebuilding the rearend with new gears,bearings,and a carbon fiber tracloc kit all done in my shop.
Usually I can whip up a complete custom exhaust for 1/2 to 1/3 what most people pay. Id rather use that money for better things than fattening up someone elses pockets.
:D::thumbsup:

(and having resources like this forum to draw on for help is priceless! )

sweet good luck!

I am like you, I do everything myself
I dont:
rebuild auto trans
setup my own gears
bend my own exhaust
my own alingment

I am learning to do the auto transmissions
I will setup the next set of gears myself
Exhaust I still leave to the pro's, likely because my exhaust guy is a good friend and he treats me VERY well
Alignment I have 99% down, I was 2 degrees off on one wheel last time I tried :)

NOBODY touches my truck, unless I am watching, carefully... LOL been burned too many times! No car payment going on 15+ years now, I built everything I drive INCLUDING my snowmobile and ATV :)

show us what you come up with!

yeah,back in Fla I had an excellent fabricating guy I used for over 15 years that would finsih my exhausts for me, I would mock stuff up then trailer car to him and he would do the rest,he was that good, he is one of the handful i was reffering to.
Being a newbie here in Texas I dont know any exhaust guys nor can anyone refer me to anyone they think is actually good.
Compared to trannys the rearend is gravy :)

sweet good luck!

I am like you, I do everything myself
I dont:
rebuild auto trans
setup my own gears
bend my own exhaust
my own alingment

I am learning to do the auto transmissions
I will setup the next set of gears myself
Exhaust I still leave to the pro's, likely because my exhaust guy is a good friend and he treats me VERY well
Alignment I have 99% down, I was 2 degrees off on one wheel last time I tried :)

NOBODY touches my truck, unless I am watching, carefully... LOL been burned too many times! No car payment going on 15+ years now, I built everything I drive INCLUDING my snowmobile and ATV :)

show us what you come up with!

I have helped rebuild auto's and setup lockers and gears, just never actually done it in house.... next time I will be! (sick of paying for it, would rather pay for more tools!)

Good luck re-using the stock pipe, hopefully it lands where you need it with your new muffler.......
I am still the "no truck needs dual exhaust" guy running around with all single tailpipes :)

the 95-01 V8's also had two smaller pipes leading into the secondary cat converters and into the muffler, with a single pipe exiting
So I used a dual 2.5" inlet / single 3" outlet muffler on my trucks :) Flowpro mufflers can be run both directions...

here's my 96's 5.0L setup, done by Chuck, my exhaust friend:

Yesterday I started off with new exhaust thanks to my buddy Chuck at Discount Muffler in Denver:

First they hacked off the secondary cat converters:
exhaustdual.jpg

Ran dual 2.5" pipes along the frame back the muffler hangers:
muffler.jpg

Flo Pro dual 2.5 inlet single 3" outlet

2.5" single pipe over the rear axle and out the side behind the pass rear:
exhausttip.jpg

Simple and it sounds MEAN, definatley picked up some low end with this single 2.5" pipe. I wanted a 3" but Chuck knows his stuff and suggested the 2.5", he was correct.

No doubt in will not make any difference in power
so long as they are properly sized,
I just like the sight of twin pipes.
:)
My powerstroke had single exhaust...
It was 4" though
:D

my BII has 3", should have gone 2.5 for more torque, BUT because its a small block in a BII I can get away with it :) would like 2.75" but nobody has dies or tube in that size normally

my BII has 3", should have gone 2.5 for more torque, BUT because its a small block in a BII I can get away with it :) would like 2.75" but nobody has dies or tube in that size normally

stick a small rear mount turbo on that 5.0 and youll have all the torque youll ever need. :)

Back