Exhaust help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Exhaust help

X-North

Reaction score
City, State
Montreal
I wanna know ...On original 1991-1994 Explorer 4.0 OHV on the exhaust theres two things before the muffler. Is there two catalytic converters on this model or just one and one resonator? If its one cat and one resonator can you tell me which one is the nearest of the engine?
I need to redo my exhaust system and it would be easier for me ot cut between both of those things after removing the plate under the transmission.

Thank you guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

both are catalytic converters. an its a $90 ticket for each 1 of them missing if u remove them. u can get a high flow replacement .

Universal replacements are fairly cheap, but require some work to fit. Replacement dual-cats are around for under two-hundred, I think. I did some triage to the joint behind the cats and put a Flowmaster aftermarket kit on (under 200) myself, replaced the rusty and leaky bits for me.

Ok but where I live they dont care if you remove it...as long as yuo have one cat they are ok with it. Does anyone know where the O2 sensor is located......before or after the cat on a 1992 explorer ? Does anyone also know the diameter of the pipe between the 2 cats because i will cut there...put an adapter and continue the pipe with 2 1/4 inches or 2" maybe.

Thank you again

thank you man il will really help. the measure are inside diameter or outside diameter?

Hey with all this nobody told me where is located the oxygen sensor...before the first cat, between both or after both ???

They are upstream of the cats, ie on the engine side, in the downpipe or manifold.

I just got back in my old stuff a Cat that have only around 1000 miles. It's a 2.25 inches inside opening so i am thinking of cutting both cat of the X put a flex pipe and the new cat and make the exhaust line from the front to the rear with a high flow muffler.
What are you thinking about it ?
I just joined a picture of this cat.

as long as u put a high flow cat on there it will be better then the stocks duel. just bend a pipe to fit the shape u want for the exhaust dont think u need a flex pipe in there.
to me a flex pipes always breaks an leaks so i dont have a use for them .

ok anyway ill do my best and calculate it. I dont have the tools to bend a flex pipe so i will put a flex there anyway it wont break before the truc kwill go to scrapyard it have 130500 miles
so as the guy said ....2.5 inches the downpipe....will put a flex there and an adapter to 2.25 and keep the 2.25 all the way back instaed of the stock 2 inches

Back