Exhaust Leak: Donut Gasket Fix? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Exhaust Leak: Donut Gasket Fix?

narg3

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT
Good morning- I have a worsening exhaust leak where my exhaust manifold mates to the catalytic converter pipe. For reference, in the below photo the leak is near the bottom exhaust bolt (the left side of the flange).

My question is: is there a donut gasket sealing that connection? I know there's one past the cat, but unclear to me if there's one here as well. A search on NAPA shows a gasket that looks like it would fit... If not, would I need to replace the manifold to correct the leak? Any other suggestions for a fix?

Thanks much.
1613135274847.png

I assume you're asking about your 98 explorer. Using your pic. here's where the gasket should and shouldn't be.
1613135274847z.png

I assume you're asking about your 98 explorer. Using your pic. here's where the gasket should and shouldn't be.
View attachment 327496
Thanks for the reply. Assuming I can remove the existing bolts at that flange, would installing new bolts likely tighten the connection enough to fix the leak?

I
Thanks for the reply. Assuming I can remove the existing bolts at that flange, would installing new bolts likely tighten the connection enough to fix the leak?

It might, here in Ma. those bolts would be so corroded that you would need a torch to get them off.

Back