• Register Today It's free!

Exhaust Leak - how to fix cheap?

pugsy

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT 4x4 (4 door)
I have an exhaust leak on my 92 XLT where the Exhaust manifold goes into the Y-Pipe (you can see the connection point in the passenger side wheel-well). Whatever holds them together is rusted through and broke. Now it's noisy and you can feel the exhaust leaking out of the connection.
What I'm looking for is the cheapest way to fix this and seal the leak. Exhaust shops have told me that I might require a new Y-pipe or at least a new split flange which runs around $150.
Is there any cheaper way to fix this? Like welding it together or something?
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Without seeing the damage 1st hand it would be difficult to say... You can only weld it back together if the pipes are in good shape. If they are badly rusted a welder will blow holes right through the pipes. Being 13+yrs old and broken kind of implies the pipes are not in great condition. Of course a cheapo fix would be to get an exhaust repair kit and wrap up the damaged area.. I''ve used them before to buy some time before I'm ready to drop $$$ on new parts.

You could either get one from a junkyard (not that you should), or you could try to patch it with some JB Weld, if the hole is not too big. You will have to check to see what the temperature rating is on that stuff, I have used it, but for cooler applications.

I've tried JB Weld but it heats up and blows apart. Too much pressure.

JB weld will not work, is good to 500 degs but your trying to get it to stick to rusted parts.
If you have busted rusty parts, there is no fix, will need to be replaced.

There are repair kits that do not involve using exhaust tape(that stuff sucks IMO).
I found a possible kit here: http://www.caswellplating.com/permatex/permrepairprods.html

PERMATEX® Muffler & Tailpipe Putty

Permanently repairs holes and leaks in exhaust systems. Seals out fumes at temperatures up to 2000°F (1000°C). Safe for catalytic converters. 2-pouch bonus pack.

Suggested Applications:
Mufflers, tailpipes, joints and catalytic converters.

I'm not sure where you might find it, but you should be able to find something similar at your local auto parts supplier.

gl

Thanks for the link. I just picked up some of this stuff. I also bought the bandage to go over it (not sure if it will burn up or not but worth a try).
So....this is what I'm going to do:
- put the putty liberally in the connection where the exhaust manifold enters the Y-pipe.
- wrap it with the exhaust bandage, hoping it won't burn up.
- then, wrap the whole thing with aluminum and clamp one end around the y-pipe and the other end around the exhaust manifold.
You guys think this will work and quiet it down, sealing leaks??
I'll take my chance for $10 over $400 that they quoted me to fix it at the muffler shop!

It should work, depending on the size of the hole. Be careful not to push too much of the putty into the hole - you don't want to end up blocking or restricting the exhaust. What is the exhaust bandage rated for, temp. wise?

gl.

Well, it's not really a hole. It's the connection of the y-pipe and exhaust manifold. So I'm going to try to put putty all the way around the connection to seal it. The putty is rated up to 2000 F and the tape is good to 600 or 800 F, can't remember which. But I'm going to cover the tape with aluminum wrap to hold things in place.

I see. I'm a bit wary about using the tape - I'm not sure how hot the exhaust gets to, that close to the engine, but I hope it works out for you.

Back