• Register Today It's free!

Exhaust Manifold Purchase.

yakuza76

Reaction score
City, State
Portland ,OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 , 5.0 limited AWD
I have been dealing with my crappy lleaking passenger side exhaust manifold leak for about a year now so im finally decided to get a new one and replace it.

first, is there anything bad that is caused from the leaking exhaust like does it damage the o2 sensor or any thing else?
Will this help with my horrible gas mileage?
Where is A good place to buy the manifold. I know everyone would like to jump and say "buy Torque Monster Headers" but I really dont have that kind of money at all. :(
Idid find these on Ebay.... Click .

thank you :usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is your check engine light on? If not I wouldn't worry about your O2 sensors, as far as the gas miliage it probably isn't helping. Have you checked out Auto Zone or O'Reilies? If that one on E-Bay is cheaper including shipping I don't see why not. Just do your normal shopping around, or if you have one check out a local junk yard.

I have some manifolds that I need to sell. I can get you the pair for far less than you can get one side. Ill send you the pair for $80 to your door. These are the cast iron type that wont blow out like yours did. I understand that they will bolt right up, so no fitment issues.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154966

Here is a pic of the actual manifold:

passenger_side.gif

that would be a great deal but it looks lke the passenger side has some kind of EGR tube I would have to plug up and I have heard that the sizing of the cast Iron from the tubular is an issue.

i dont wanna look in a junk yard cause i dont want it to crack again but i will check out Autozone .

Which year do you have?
Edit ooohhh 96

The egr tube bung could be welded shut.
I still think this is the best fix- shipped to your door. A muffler shop could weld that shut if MOUNTAINEERGREE can't.
I have priced these, be sitting down.

I have the same issue with a 1997 Mountaineer. It has the horrible tick since I bought it (about March of this year) and the CEL keeps coming on when I reset it. I have used two different scanners to reset it. I will be using the TM headers as soon as I can get the money up to buy them. Does this mean that another part has go out (O2 Sensor)?

An exhaust leak on the passenger side could cause an egr code I suppose, or the lack of flow across an o2 sensor could throw a code. Which code did you get?

bluebear,do you have the egr tube on passenger side?

yakuza76 said:
that would be a great deal but it looks lke the passenger side has some kind of EGR tube I would have to plug up and I have heard that the sizing of the cast Iron from the tubular is an issue.

i dont wanna look in a junk yard cause i dont want it to crack again but i will check out Autozone .

I could cap and or weld the EGR port easily. I dont believe that the sizing is different at all, maybe someone can chime in here? My manifolds would give you the pair for almost half of what you'd pay for the one aftermarket part. Then if in the future you had your drivers side go bad, you'd have it there.

the manifold pictured is the good one! The later versions are even crappier....(with all the heat guards, a bunch of pieces welded together not like the cast unit pictured.

A simple pipe thread bung will plug that hole if you have no EGR tube (non P head, pre 97.5)

I have 4 (6 really, 2 still on an engine) of the crappier manifolds if anyone wants them.

An exhaust leak upstream of the 02 sensors will cause a rich condition, but should not effect the EGR, I would expect to see an 02 sensor code, not an EGR, meaning they may be seperate issues, but fix the leak first and see if the code returns.

Yep, mine will be a rock solid replacement. No welds or pinches to fail. I’ve even got most of the bolts in case you need any replacements. I need to get rid of these; they are sitting around collecting dust. I will find a plug to put in the manifold to fix the EGR. I may be a little biased, but this is a far better deal.

mountaineergree said:
Then if in the future you had your drivers side go bad, you'd have it there.

not if- when

The autozone replacement will be no better than the original half tube half cast iron design
You just can't weld stainless to cast iron effectively. What were they thinking?

You are getting good advise here. If you don't want the expense of toquemonster headers, I'd get the cast manifold where you can, and plug the bung
( that didn't sound right)

Back