• Register Today It's free!

exhaust system

ozzyfan319

Reaction score
City, State
wallingford, ct
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 xlt
i want a very deep and loud sounding exhaust for my 95 ohv. ive heard flowmaster 40 and imco are good. how bout he gibson. which is the loudest and deepest?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i wanna know the same thing but for my 2000 XLS SOHC........

also wondering if anyone knows the pipe size for my 2000 XLS SOHC so i can get the right muffler for it ??

I have a 99 SOHC 4.0 with the IMCO Extreme single chamber muff with 2.5" piping dumped and it gets pretty loud and deep. People can DEFF tell you have exhaust. I can hear my truck idle from inside my house

I have dual chamber 2 flowmasters on my 01 sport and they are 2 1/2 inch tips and i love the sound its loud and deep i dunno what series i got on mine though.

how much does the IMCO system run and were can you get it online. Can it bolt up to the stock flange? i would prefer a bolt up since i would have to pay a welder

With the IMCO exhaust , the muff ran me around $50 and the Y pipe I used ran around $25. I did all the cutting/welding/clamping myself so it was around $75. Its dumped right before the rear axel. Search ebay for a seller called PERFORMANCE CURVE and he sells a Y pipe made by magnaflow thats dual 2.25" in and single 2.5" out which is perfect for the SOHC motors. I welded the Y pipe on and clamped the rest using parts from ADVANCE. I chose not to weld the entire system incase I wanted to change the muffler later on

Hey Brother I Am Good On The Y Pipe But Where Did You Get That Muffler And Wat Series.. email me details if you dont mind, huntersteve61@hotmail.com

I have a Gibson Swept Side and it actually comes out behind the truck on the right side on a slight downward angle. Very nice finish. Great tone. Not too loud. Mellow really. You could hear it when you press into the pedal. Idling is not really noticable. Good performance though. I could feel a gain.

ok

did you loose power from not having back pressure on the imco.. and would a flowmaster 40 be louder then that 50 mike?

magnaflow is a good balanced muffler between deepness and internal resonance

i dont like to sound faster than im going... magnaflow is best all around

huntersteve61 said:
did you loose power from not having back pressure on the imco.. and would a flowmaster 40 be louder then that 50 mike?

The imco is just a muffler like anything else. Just keep the pipe 2.5" and youll be fine. I had dual 2.25" pipes and I lost low end power. If you go 40 and want loud .... get the original 40's...delta flow/super 40s are quiet.

I bought a flowie knock off that got rave reviews on 3.8 mustang forums called FORCE PRO-SERIES. They say its deeper ad not ricey up top and is $36 shipped on summit. We shall see. I want the loudness of the imco but a tad deeper.

Thanks Man Question though... Are the factory pipes 2.5? I thought they were only 2.25 I found that pro series thing on ebay for like 14 bucks the guy meant to make it 24 but put in 14 its identical to all the other mufflers but oh well his loss. What size would work?

huntersteve61 said:
Thanks Man Question though... Are the factory pipes 2.5? I thought they were only 2.25 I found that pro series thing on ebay for like 14 bucks the guy meant to make it 24 but put in 14 its identical to all the other mufflers but oh well his loss. What size would work?

Factory pipes are 2.25". On your OHV, Im pretty sure it has a stock Y pipe meaning your stock muffler is single in/single out. On my truck coming off the heads, I have dual pipes. My stock muffler was dual 2.25" in and single 2.25" out.
See below

DSC00744.JPG

What I had to do was get a Y pipe that was dual 2.25" in and single 2.5" out.
DSC00743.JPG

I then ran 2.5" piping from the Y pipe back.

This muffler is really loud and deep. You can hear it from a ways away. My mom tells me she can hear me idling outside.

From what I read, the OHV actually gives off a deeper tone than the SOHC (my truck) so you might get better sound off this muffler than me. Either way...if you want loud this muffler will make you happy. If you want more opinions on it, head over to the ranger forums which is where I got a lot of my info. Mustang forums also has a few threads on this muff.

SIDE NOTE: Its easiest to do this all yourself. I would just hope you have a welder to weld up some mounts to keep the muffler stable like below.

DSC00742.JPG

I did this all myself with piping and clamps bought at advance auto parts. To get the loudest, you can dump it shortly after the muffler under your truck. The hardest part was welding up the Y pipe, which shouldnt be a problem on your truck. I would just weld/clamp a 2.25 to 2.5" bell adapter to your stock piping.

Keep in mind that this muffler is pretty small

7426.gif

About the pro series, Summitracing had it on back order so i canceled the order. I heard my brother drive my truck the other night so I changed my mind....Im keeping this muffler. This muffler is 10x's louder and deeper outside the truck than inside. I guess something was trying to tell me something by putting the muffler on backorder like that LOL

enjoip8nt said:
magnaflow is a good balanced muffler between deepness and internal resonance

i dont like to sound faster than im going... magnaflow is best all around

I like mine alot, very nice muffler.

Actually man i appreciate it but mines also the sohc block. So mine is dual in single out.... i'll have the muff shop expand a pipe on it

huntersteve61 said:
Actually man i appreciate it but mines also the sohc block. So mine is dual in single out.... i'll have the muff shop expand a pipe on it

Just get a Y pipe (search performance curve on ebay or google it, he has a website) with dual 2.25" pipes and single out....or you will have to find a dual in muffler....or just go true duals but you will lose a lot of back pressure

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok Man..... I'm doin the Y pipe i should have my muffler in by the weekend soo it should be a good weekend to have some fun fabing my exhaust up as I'm goin for a side exit just behind my tires and i'm buying some firestone destination 31's and some roof mount fog lights... I'll take pics for you

Back