Full exhaust system mod question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Full exhaust system mod question

ssavov

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer Sport
Hey everyone, I just got myself a '01 Explorer Sport 4.0 two door and I'm loving. Now I'm not very good with cars, computers is my thing haha, so bare with me :Do

So I want to install a new full Gibson exhaust system, however I wanna put a Flowmaster 40 series muffler in the place of the Gibson muffler.

Now my question is, if the exhaust piping is 2.5" do the Flowmaster muffler's diameter have to be the same or should they be like 3"
... I'm asking because I figured if they're both 2.5" then they can't be slid into each other. Or am I wrong?

I guess I would have to question the reason. If its a perormance gain your after, stick with the gibson system as a whole. Exhaust systems are designed to allow maximum exhaust velocity while staying as close to zero backpressure as possible. While changing mufflers may not affect this, why spend the money on another muffler? Unless its a certain sound your after? But unless you've heard the sound from a that same gibson system with a flowmaster muffler, it may not sound the same. But as to your question, all exhaust components will be measured in inside diameter (I.D.) and outside diameter (O.D.) I would reccomend drawing out a map of your system with known measurements on it, then matching up what you need when your shopping around.

Why not just take it to a reputable exhaust shop and ask them to custom make an exhaust for you and you pick the muffler?

I did that the last time, they ran brand new piping Cat back and threw on a muffler. No problems.

Probably cheaper too. And they'll weld it. If you want to install yourself, you'll be using clamps all the way through unless you have, or have access to a welder and know how to use one. But to re-iterate DjDom's suggestion.......a REPUTABLE exhaust shop. Just remember, you get what you pay for.

Back