• Register Today It's free!

Exhaust

Gse Brent

Reaction score
City, State
Small Wonder
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trac
Been looking around for a decent exhaust system. Not much out there for the sport tracs like 2 or 3 brands specific for our trucks. Checked you tube for sound clips and also not much. Got any recommendations? Just looking for a good sound, like v8 sound in a v6 :).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The dynomax turbo muffler is my fav,wish it was easier to get in canada, I forget what member has it on his and posted sound clips for me.

Doing just a catback or muffler won't get you V8 sound. I replaced the y-pipe and main cats when my pre-cat in the driverside of the y-pipe broke apart. I shopped around alot, Random Technology makes a stainless steel pre-cat delete y-pipe and a stainless steel high flow single cat for cheaper then it would cost to get the oem steel y-pipe and dual steel cats theat can rust out, break apart, etc...

I installed these with the Flowmaster 50 series and dual 2.5" tailpipes (homemade pieced together from older tialpipes), this setup sounded good (really droney though).

The Flowmaster rusted out along with the tailpipes within a year and a half. Last summer I replaced the muffler and tailpipes with a stainless steel MagnaFlow 2.5" in/ dual 2.5" out and aluminized steel 2.5" tailpipes (custom bendand welded by me and my buddy).

Let's just say I get asked all the time how I put a V8 in a 1st Gen Sport Trac. You can hear my truck from over a mile away and if I get on it, it sounds like an old Hemi.

I've tried to get sound clips and video clips but the camera and my iphone cut the sound off as soon as it gets too loud (which is as soon as I start up the truck).

picture.php

picture.php

The y-pipe and high flow cat gave my Trac an extra set of lungs and woke it up big time. Better mpg's and power on both low and top end.

Doing just a catback or muffler won't get you V8 sound. I replaced the y-pipe and main cats when my pre-cat in the driverside of the y-pipe broke apart. I shopped around alot, Random Technology makes a stainless steel pre-cat delete y-pipe and a stainless steel high flow single cat for cheaper then it would cost to get the oem steel y-pipe and dual steel cats theat can rust out, break apart, etc...

I installed these with the Flowmaster 50 series and dual 2.5" tailpipes (homemade pieced together from older tialpipes), this setup sounded good (really droney though).

The Flowmaster rusted out along with the tailpipes within a year and a half. Last summer I replaced the muffler and tailpipes with a stainless steel MagnaFlow 2.5" in/ dual 2.5" out and aluminized steel 2.5" tailpipes (custom bendand welded by me and my buddy).

Let's just say I get asked all the time how I put a V8 in a 1st Gen Sport Trac. You can hear my truck from over a mile away and if I get on it, it sounds like an old Hemi.

I've tried to get sound clips and video clips but the camera and my iphone cut the sound off as soon as it gets too loud (which is as soon as I start up the truck).

picture.php

picture.php

Love the idea, i'll have to do some more research.

SPINTECH!!!!!! I have mine in the garage, waiting for some extra money to get it put in with dual tips!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9QqSFQS4Lk

This is another member's video. Maybe he'll chime in.

I've looked at spintech. How does it exactly work? On the website it just looks like stand alone mufflers for around $90. So do you buy that and weld it into the place of your cat and reuse all your old exhaust piping? Love that sound of that video too just confused on how it works.

Replace with the muffler of your choice, delete the resonator, and straight pipe under the rear bumper.
IMO, no real gain with a full catback. ST OEM exhaust system is 2.25" stainless steel with very little restriction, except the muffler.
I have yet to hear a V-6 that sounded remotely close to a V-8 in terms of tone and note, regardless of displacement. JMO

Never seen it in person but i heard theres a sport trac running around jersey with stacks. Kinda wonder how that looks or even how he made that happen. I think it would look kinda cool if you could get the pipes coming out in between the bed and the cab somehow.

This is a picture of caseyc's spintech on his st 2.25 in/2.50 out
spintech225in25out.jpg

And Jerry where exactly is your y-pipe installed on this diagram? Right after 38831?

stexhaustdiagram.jpg

You mean something like this...

picture.php

The y-pipe is #98 notice the oem has pre-cats, my Random Tech y-pipe doesn't and is 50 state legal. The oem main cat which is #98 has two cats, my Random Tech high flow cat only has one and the oulet pipe on the back of it is 2.5" instead of the oem's 2.25".

I would be ok with never seeing another picture of stacks on a Sport Trac.

Lol.

i got single in and dual out 40 series flowmasters on my 01 sport and i love how it sounds.

i wish it would sound louder and deeper on the freeway though

I kinda want to see more pics of that ST... got any more Midnight?

No, I found that picture on a google search.

I love the way the spintech sounds but hate how they piece out everything. It looks like on caseyc's he just bought a muffler with a tip and put it on after 38831 right?

Ask and you shall receive... So that is correct, I bought the muffler by itself. Due to specific inlet sizing of the oem exhaust system I bought it with 2.25 inlet with 2.5 outlet. All I did was take it to a local exhaust shop. Told them I want it to be remove able (hence the flange still intact after cats) incase I change it later on and want to put back to stock. Chopped the pipe right before the first of 2 or 3 mufflers on our tracs. And had the shop throw on a simple turn down pipe right off the back of the spin tech. Had the shop throw on a hanger for added support.

Hope that helps

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back