Exhaust | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Exhaust

ok this got my interest so i just went out and crawled under to have a look. i got to wondering about the y-pipe replacement. when i looked under i see 2 precats then drops down and goes into the resonator/2nd cat (number 98) after it comes out there is a o2 sensor, then takes a short pipe to the muffler (which in my case is stock and new by the way thanks to ford dealership from previous owner) then goes into tailpipe #54171 which has this thing (which i dont know what it is) that is a step up in size and then back down before going over the axel.

now if i get the "random tech" y-pipe will i throw a CEL? i dont see a place for o2 sensor so im thinking it will. second thing is i going replace the stock muffler (do i have a restriction on muffler size) and probably leave stock tailpipe from there back...but what is this thing in the #84171 pipe? also is there a "CEL" resistor for the o2 sensor to keep it from throwing a CEL.

thanks for the help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First, the cylinder on the tailpipe before the rear axle is called the resonator, this is to quiet the exhaust sounds before exiting. This piece isn't needed and is often taken out and replaced with a straight pipe.

You won't through a CEL if you install the RT y-pipe and or high flow cat. There are bung's welded in the y-pipe for the factory O2 sensors.

The factory pipe size is 2.25" so try and get a 2.25" in and out muffler if keeping the rest of the exhaust system in place. If you get the RT high flow cat it increases the exhaust pipe size to 2.5" on the outlet end so you can get a catback system that is 2.5" and directly bolt on without any adapters.

If your throwing a CEL for the O2 sensor you can clean out the sensors with compressed air, just air (NO cleaning solvents), these will stay on the sensor and ruin it. Once you clean the sensor reinstall it and clear the codes with either a code reader that you can borrow from Advanced Auto or you can simply disconnect the battery for about 20-30 minutes and this will clear them.

Oh ok that answers alot. I'm not looking for a drag racer just mild performance upgrades. Basically what I'm looking at now in doing is replace the ypipe with the RT pipe and Change muffler and remove resonator. I might try and re-route the tailpipe maybe infront of rear tire or something. I didn't see the bungs on the rtpipe so that's why I wondering and I currently do not have a gel.

You can get a cat back system for dirt cheap. I've seen them as low as $130 on ebay and amazon.

REVIVE!!!!

Hey Rebel, could u hook me up with some links to the single cat and Y pipe? I know Ive seen them before but cant remember where:(

Zabteck.com Todd Z. Over on the mysporttrac.com sells them.

Back