Expedition IRS vs Explorer IRS | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Expedition IRS vs Explorer IRS

If you keep the explorer rear end it should work.

EMG7895 said:
If you keep the explorer rear end it should work.

For this to work properly, you are going to want to lift it enough that the halfshafts are below the frame and not through it--otherwise you are just spending time and money that you don't need to.

Is a 4-6' lift and SAS just not a reality. Even if you had the ability to fab everything.

A1C_Snowman said:
Is a 4-6' lift and SAS just not a reality. Even if you had the ability to fab everything.

I had actually looked into this. Went as far as getin estimates for it. Unfortuneately i cant take anything that masive on myself, so i was lookin to have it done.
While its possible its a bit impractical. Wagoneer axles are about the right track width, i forget the measurement but just a bit wider than the 3rd gen ex's. We figured that with the right whell tire combination you could bring the tires righ out to the existing fenders this way. It would have to be in the neighbor hood of 6-10 inches to give you enough up travel (we did a guestimate at 4 inches up) without havin to modify the crap out of the frame. The front is no big deal, its the rear that puts you into un-charted waters.
Reality set in for me hen i realized that i could buy a 2nd X, add larger tires (to some extent) to the 3rd gen, regear mine for towing, get a trailer, and lift the **** out of the 2nd ex to have a DD and a trail rig for much less money overall. And while im at it i can learn how to wrench easily on the older truck, wich might i ad im havin a blast doing! :D
Im still gonna dream about having the money and abilitty to d-sas my 3rd gen though.

Its been found that a 1.5 inch lift with spacers is a doable thing on a 3rd gen, so i plan to persue that at some point.

Although as fuel to anyone who may want to further persue the SAS on a 3rd gen x ill leave you off with this peice of (photochoped) eye candy:
redo_1.jpg

Back