Expedition IRS vs Explorer IRS

captainmurphy

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Collins, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac
Hey
Does anyone know what the difference between the Expedtion IRS and the Explorer's. I know that Ford likes to make most of there parts modular, like the 8.8 axle. The reason I ask it I have an 03 4dr and want a lift bad. I know there isnt any, unless I do a body lift. I found a IRS lift kit for a Expedition. I know it wont be a direct bolt in. I dont have an Expedition around to check and see and I dont think to many people would like me crawling under there SUV. With any luck, doubtful, I can use some of the parts from this lift kit.
Any info would be great.

Here is the link for the Expedition IRS lift kit.
http://www.rizeind.com/rearexp.html

Chris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry, can't help you but it's interesting that they will make a lift for an Expedition and not the Explorer because of the name "Explorer". That lift looks pretty nice too.

It would be great if most of the kit would bolt in. I dont mind having to have a few parts fabed. If th kit isnt that much I would buy it just to try it. Worse case I sell the kit on ebay and lose a couple bucks for trying. IT would kick ass if it worked tho. I've got a family at Ford maybe they would know. They're not in suspension, they are working on 5v heads right now.

I think it's to different, besides being wider.

Explorer
02.Ford.Explorer.IRS.350.jpg

dd_rearsuspension.jpg

Expedition

02.jpg

Also it's not a 8.8 in the Expedition, it's 9.75 ;)

It might be too different. I figured I would have to use my control arms. I guess Im gonna have to find an Expedition to crawl under unless anyone has pics.

I'm not saying your wrong - but are you sure the newer expeditions have 8.8's? Cause I went on Summit and the only thing they had for the drivetrain for a '05 expedition was a 9-3/4" differential carrier.

-Drew

EDIT: dang, stic-o beat me to it. All that research I had to do slowed me down

Im not sure about them having 8.8s. 8.8s was an example on how ford like to keep things simple, except with me explorer. I helped a friend put an 8.8 in a 46 ford it was just about a bolt in.
Dont worry I wasnt thinking you said I was wrong. Any suggestions are welcome. Im not sure if this would work. Thats why I put it on this post.

thanks for the input and pics

Im pretty sure the rears are completely different between the 2. At the verry least the arms are differnet, and id be willing to bet the spacing beween the frame rails is as well, but cant say for sure on that. Although that being said im sure the same concept could be used.

It would probably be easier just to swap the whole 9.75 in.

^^ thats what i was going to say......then toos on the expedition lift......

I wonder if the company is planning to make an X lift kit. If they made an Expedition kit then they at least had to think about on for the Explorer. I'll said them an email see what happends. You would think that if you were a aftermarket parts company you would see what people want. Read any of the many fourms with people asking for this, you might get the idea. In hopes of turning a profit they might make one. Of course Im sure I'll just get some BS story about how nobody wants it or its in R&D maybe someday.

I thought that the Expedition half-shafts weren't routed through the frame rails (which would explain why they have a lift for the Expedition and not the Explorer).

I got an email back for the company that makes the Expedition kit. They have no plans for a lift kit for the explorer, because of the half shafts going threw the frame. So today instead of working, cus I hate my boss, I popped under X and got to thinking. Now bare with me I'm bouncing this idea of you. What if you had custom half shafts made, with or without spacers to extend the angle so you can lift without rubbing the frame. Kinda like a driveshaft spacer. Shorter half shafts and a spacer that would bring the shaft out more. I thought about drawing up a pic, if you guys have no idea what I am talking about then I'll make one. But tell me if this would work, I dont care about price right now more in if its possible.

i understand what your sayin, Im not an expert, buut i would have to assume that that would make the angles on the cv joints more severe, especially after a lift.

I see lowering springs that will drop the X 1-2 inches wait not up 1-2 its seems to be about the same clearance threw the frame. I've got a few friends and family over at ford I'll ask around. I just cant take no for an answer I want my explorer lifted, mainly cus people told me I can't, it will be done.

That's what I've been trying to figure out this whole time. If people can drop the X 2 to 3 inches and not have a problem with the rear half-shaft. Why is there a problem when it comes to lifting 2 to 3 inches?

captainmurphy said:
I see lowering springs that will drop the X 1-2 inches wait not up 1-2 its seems to be about the same clearance threw the frame. I've got a few friends and family over at ford I'll ask around. I just cant take no for an answer I want my explorer lifted, mainly cus people told me I can't, it will be done.

When the Ex is dropped, I believe the bumpstops are not changing, so the max upward travel of the suspension remains the same. If you set the suspension to be at full drop you would have a lift (like the torsion bar twist), but you wouldn't have downward travel, which will have a negative impact on your handling and offroad capabilities.

I see what you are saying about bumpstop and handling. I would be happy with an inch or 2 lift. That shouldnt effect it too much, sure it wont ride the same anymore but anything you would so to suspension will change the way it rides. Hell just an inch i would be happy. I just dont want to go the JCWhitney route and get those spring compessors and reverse them.

I havent been under a new explorer but the most reasonable way to lift it that I can see would be drop brackets and just drop the whole assembly down, you wouldnt be able to do just a small lift unless you c notch the frame. Same concept as a ifs/ttb front lift just without steering and you have to do a bigger lift.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This just isn't going to work. Even if you could get the drop brackets to bolt up, your tires would stick out way too far because the Expedition is wider.

Back