• Register Today It's free!

Ranger vs. Explorer FRONT Bumper

amschind

Reaction score
City, State
Galveston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 4x4 EB V6
I have been looking into having a pair of custom bumpers made for my 2002 explorer. Every place that I have looked has said either "No" or "I have never done one, so I'd need to have the vehicle in my shop to try."

With regard to the FRONT bumper, it is superficially very similar to those from 1999-2011 Ford Rangers. That matters because tons of guys are making custom bumpers for those vehicles. I know that the 3rd gen Explorers are similar in many ways to the Rangers, though parts commonality wasn't yet a priority at Ford (Mulally really started that when he took over in 2006, so I wouldn't put it past Ford to build a wide variety of VERY similar parts for no real reason).

I want to know if a bumper built to fit a Ranger would bolt on to my Explorer. As I assume that nobody has tried this, I am curious if anyone can think of a cheap way to test it out. I thought of junkyard diving for a Ranger bumper and then trying it for fit, but finding one that isn't so mangled as to be useless AND costs significantly less than just buying the custom bumper that I want an trying that one may prove challenging.

Fearce Off Road Ranger Bumpers

As for the rear bumper, I am open to ideas on that, but it seems like it's going to be a challenge.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't the 02 and up Ex's have a wider body than the previous generation, which was the same width as Rangers?

I have been wondering this for a long time, as everyone says that the ranger body lift bumper brackets work. But that also raises the question of when it does bolt up will the modifications needed to make it fit the grille/headlights/wheel wells make it more cost effective to just build from scratch.

But that also raises the question of when it does bolt up will the modifications needed to make it fit the grille/headlights/wheel wells make it more cost effective to just build from scratch.

Just looking at it, the exterior/cosmetic fit appears like the part that WOULD work. The dip in the center for the grille and profile beneath the headlights and where it meets the wheel wells appears to be spot on. I was worried more about the frame connection.

Isn't the ranger more closely related to the 2nd gen explorer sports?

I read somewhere the bumper from 2000 ranger fits directly to 1998 Explorer.

i have also been wondering this, fearce offroad is no help as i have contacted them about measurements and got nothing more than a "buy it and see" response...

just have to find someone with a ranger and trade bumpers i guess

did you ever try this?

3rd gen explorers are wider than rangers by like 3"

I'm in the middle of the same issue for my '03 ex sport. On these the grill is integrated in the full bumper valance so the explorer and exp sport is 2 different animals just so you are aware, I'm trying to figure how to cut the grill from the valance in order to at least retain something stock on the front. Be watching to see what you guys come up with

Back