Explorer 2nd row console install | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer 2nd row console install

Thanks Peter. The ford dealer showed me the description on the armrest part and it simply says arm rest, DX version, white stitching. The Platinum is also called the DX, I have learned. The crazy cost is probably because it's only on the platinum. I can live with the mismatched stitching. Did you also have the gap at the floor on the front of the console?

I am on the road right now and my EX is in another state. With that said I ordered and installed
Ford Genuine GB5Z-78045A36-AB Console Vault, 1 Pack
It took me more time to figure out how to mark the floor for the correct holes to be cut in the carpet then it did to install it after the holes where cut. I have dark carpet in mine, so I used a few pieces of green painter tape on the floor in about the correct spot. I then placed the console into it's spot and used a thin pencil to mark on the tape. I cut the hole with a sharp knife and installed the bolts. There is no gap under mine that I can remember it site pretty tight to the carpet. I have a 17 Platinum and the red stitching is not noticeable as far as I can tell.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mlarv5 - could you post a picture once you are back? I was under the impression that the AA (black stitching) and AB (red stitching) only differed by the stitching color. Im going to call my local dealer again to inquire if the front panel part of those consoles uses the same part.

I won't be home for awhile I am in the middle of a three week travel one week home cycle for the next few months. The one I posted I got off Amazon from Ford Parts Source. I bought it last Oct. The red stitching sort of blends into the entire console and does not stand out. I was worried about it when I purchased it. I had an idea if it was to bright or stood to much I would use a black sharpy and try and blend it in.. If you look between your current seats you will see a small plastic cover. Put both rear seat in the folded position and take the two screws out of the sides. Pull the cover and you will see the way the rear console installs. The front went completely down to the floor with no gaps. I am not sure what front panel you are referring to. The console I posted was complete and ready to install. It is a factory part they use.

All I know it fit like a glove with no problems, I am not sure of the differences between a Sport and a Platinum in this regards.
I know that a year or more ago, some members with a Sport were looking for consoles that had matching red stitching. It looks like the other one that jmcarson3 was referring to has white stitching. Not sure what colour stitching yours has or the one that jmcarson3 ordered. Presumably black?

Peter

Mine has the red stitching, it is a dark red and does not stand out against any other stitching in the seats. I bought this because it was cheaper the the white stitched ones at the time.

I picked up the one with black stitching. Part number for the whole unit is
GB5Z-78045A36-AA (vs AB for the red stitching). The mismatch is still the 1” gap at the floor trim at the front of the unit. Sounds like others don’t have this gap so I’m hoping to find out which version is best for the platinum that doesn’t have the trim gap.

Check to be sure there isnt a plastic cap on the bracket. I helped someone install one in their Ex and there was a plastic cap on the bracket.

This is the irst time I have noticed this gap. It is only about a 1/2 inch. With a little cutting on the edge that is touching to soon would let this sit flush. Or if I lossened the two bolts that hold it in the front and jiggled it around a bit it would fit better. But like I said I never noticed this little gap until it was pointed out to me bu this post. My floor mat fits under it so I am good with it.
20180514_150200.jpg
20180514_150204.jpg

I know this is an old thread but I just performed this modification. I ordered the console from a Ford dealer on Amazon. Came perfectly packaged from the dealer. All you need to do is remove the plastic cap covering the rear console bracket, save the screws, they are the same as the ones that come with the console. Install the console the bracket with those screws, do not over tighten. Now push down on the front of the console util it comes in contact with the carpet. Stick an awl or drill bit through the front holes to pierce the carpet. The holes you need to use are already drilled and threaded on the vehicle, they are covered with tape under the carpet. Now just screw down the front, you will need a socket with a long extension to get past the seats that are in the way of getting a wrench down there. It took me longer to round up the tools in the garaged than install the console. I did not cut the carpet. looks great and is secure.

I installed the console in my 2018 Explorer Limited. Easy to do, did not cut carpet, good fit. Now I'm thinking about getting the front center console vault.

Purchased 2017 Explorer Platinum with quad bucket seats but no console. Can anyone share the difference between the model identified for 2015 or earlier Part number
DB5Z-78045A36-AA Charcoal/Pebble and the new offering for 2016-2018 GB5Z-78045A36-AD. Charcoal/Black

I understand the difference on the lid stitching colors (I need the Pebble version) but are there structural differences between the two that affect fitment?

There was one comment from over a year ago where an owner with a 2016 purchased the DB5Z-78045A36-AA version to fit his explorer and reported that it looks just like the Platinum 1st row console with the white stitching, was a fairly easy install and is a perfect match.

Thanks.

Purchased 2017 Explorer Platinum with quad bucket seats but no console. Can anyone share the difference between the model identified for 2015 or earlier Part number
DB5Z-78045A36-AA Charcoal/Pebble and the new offering for 2016-2018 GB5Z-78045A36-AD. Charcoal/Black

I understand the difference on the lid stitching colors (I need the Pebble version) but are there structural differences between the two that affect fitment?

There was one comment from over a year ago where an owner with a 2016 purchased the DB5Z-78045A36-AA version to fit his explorer and reported that it looks just like the Platinum 1st row console with the white stitching, was a fairly easy install and is a perfect match.

Thanks.
Hi. I'm new to the forum and I'm living in Ukraine, but got here my dream: used 2017 Explorer Platinum. Have exactly the same quastion: did somebody successfully installed DB5Z-78045A36-AA on the 2016-17 Explorers? Tried to find the answer hear but didn't. For some reason Ford doesn't sell Explorers in my country, so can't ask our dealers on this.

Hi. I'm new to the forum and I'm living in Ukraine, but got here my dream: used 2017 Explorer Platinum. Have exactly the same quastion: did somebody successfully installed DB5Z-78045A36-AA on the 2016-17 Explorers? Tried to find the answer hear but didn't. For some reason Ford doesn't sell Explorers in my country, so can't ask our dealers on this.
Hi Sonor
Following my original post from 2019, I did purchase DB5Z-78045A36-AA (charcoal/pebble stitching) for our 2017 Explorer Platinum in May 2020.

I chose Benny at Levittown Ford Parts to assist the purchase because of price/shipping (Forum Vendor and coupon) but did check with White Bear Ford too. Both had what I wanted in stock.

Importantly, I thoroughly researched all the replacement parts for the console and the ONLY difference was related to the various lid stitching variations. We needed the white stitching (vs black, red or rust stitching) and the white stitch was not offered in the pre-built version (GB5Z-78045A36-xx) offered for 2017-2019.

I had no problems with the install as the base of the console is exactly the same for both models. However, I did not want to cut out the carpet (which is how the factory installs them) so it was a little difficult attaching the front screws into the floor board. If you don’t want to cut the carpet out, do not tighten the rear attaching screws until after starting the front ones to allow some flexibility front to back.

Two machine screws hold down rear cover. Remove and save them along with cover in case you want to uninstall Console in the future.

New Console install instructions and four (4) mounting screws are included with console. Cup holder insert included. Coin tray pad insert included.

Notice slight gap between front legs and drive shaft hump which can be minimized by trimming the drop down “tube” on the underside of the console base seen in photo.

Need at least a 12” ratchet extension to make installing front machine screws easier.

My total install time including tool selection and pre-prep was less than one hour.

Pictures showing install:

Joe

2017 Ford Explorer Console Part Number.jpg

Factory Console CharcoalPebble stitch lid.jpg

Console Coin pad included.jpg

Console Cup holder insert included.jpg

Ford Fcty Console Underside.jpg

Dropdown tube front view.jpg

Outline where Console will sit.jpg

Factory cover removed.jpg

Factory Console rear install bracket.jpg

Factory Console rear install bracket.jpg

Console carpet cut away.jpg

Factory Console rear install on bracket.jpg

Console install  frt  screws to floor 1.jpg

Console install  frt  screws to floor.jpg

Gap if no trim to tube 1.jpg

Gap if no trim to tube 2.jpg

2017 Ford  Explorer Fcty Conslol Install Front View.jpg

Console Completed install.jpg

Attachments

• 2017 Explorer rear console install instructions.pdf
    802 KB · Views: 193

Thanks.
Did you find out something on this? Will DB5Z-78045A36-AA fit the 2016-17 Explorers?
Hi Sonor
Following my original post from 2019, I did purchase DB5Z-78045A36-AA (charcoal/pebble stitching) for our 2017 Explorer Platinum in May 2020.

I chose Benny at Levittown Ford Parts to assist the purchase because of price/shipping (Forum Vendor and coupon) but did check with White Bear Ford too. Both had what I wanted in stock.

Importantly, I thoroughly researched all the replacement parts for the console and the ONLY difference was related to the various lid stitching variations. We needed the white stitching (vs black, red or rust stitching) and the white stitch was not offered in the pre-built version (GB5Z-78045A36-xx) offered for 2017-2019.

I had no problems with the install as the base of the console is exactly the same for both models. However, I did not want to cut out the carpet (which is how the factory installs them) so it was a little difficult attaching the front screws into the floor board. If you don’t want to cut the carpet out, do not tighten the rear attaching screws until after starting the front ones to allow some flexibility front to back.

Two machine screws hold down rear cover. Remove and save them along with cover in case you want to uninstall Console in the future.

New Console install instructions and four (4) mounting screws are included with console. Cup holder insert included. Coin tray pad insert included.

Notice slight gap between front legs and drive shaft hump which can be minimized by trimming the drop down “tube” on the underside of the console base seen in photo.

Need at least a 12” ratchet extension to make installing front machine screws easier.

My total install time including tool selection and pre-prep was less than one hour.

Pictures showing install:

Joe

View attachment 327861

View attachment 327862

View attachment 327863

View attachment 327864

View attachment 327865

View attachment 327866

View attachment 327867

View attachment 327868

View attachment 327869

View attachment 327870

View attachment 327871

View attachment 327872

View attachment 327873

View attachment 327874

View attachment 327875

View attachment 327876

View attachment 327877

View attachment 327878
Thank you, Joe. That was fast and very explanatory. I will purchase the white stitching console for my car also.

If you chose to buy from Levittown, tell Benny that you are a member of this forum for a possible discount.

Peter

Thanks.
thumbnail.jpg?domain=semp.png
Click Here!

Find 2 inch Here!​

semp.net​

thumbnail.jpg?domain=semp.png
Click Here!

Find 2 inch Here!​

semp.net​

Did you find out something on this? Will DB5Z-78045A36-AA fit the 2016-17 Explorers?
If you chose to buy from Levittown, tell Benny that you are a member of this forum for a possible discount.

Peter
Thank you. Will try to reach him.

Did anyone find out if there's a structural difference between the DB and GB consoles?

Edit: From re-reading it looks like there isn't. We may do this for ours but am not sure it's worth $400. I bet some junk yards would have some in decent condition.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi. If you look back on this thread you'll find a fairly extensive review I posted earlier this year.
I have a 2017 Platinum and had the exact same question when looking to add the console.

The only key is this. What color trim thread does your front console and seats have?

The base is exactly the same. But the call out P/N will be different for each thread color ie: Black, Red, Rust, Pebble

Hope that helps...and by the way very easy to install. Even taking my time took less than an hour with minimal requirements for tools.

Back