Explorer Brake Problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Brake Problem

Fettler

Reaction score
City, State
Melbourne, Victoria
Year, Model & Trim Level
I have a 1998 stock Explorer. I am having brake problems. When the motor is running the brake pedal will sink to the floor under pressure. Motor off the pedal is hard. I also can't do a "crash" stop - no way will the brakes even look like making the ABS engage.

I have taken it to a local workshop and they have checked the wheel callipers, discs, pads and the master cylinder and say they can't find anything wrong and it is probably the ABS unit. They told me to take it to a Ford dealer with an "ABS scanner". I rang 2 Ford dealers and they said if the ABS light isn't on, and it isn't, then they wouldn't be able to tell me any more about the ABS! They both said it probably isn't the ABS unit.

Does anyone have an idea??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds like it is most likely a master cylinder problem. If the abs isnt going active, and you arent losing fluid, the matser cylinder is most likely.

Has any work been performed on your brakes recently ? If someone let the master cylinder run dry, there will be air in the ABS hydraulic unit, which can only be bled with the properly equipped scanner. I don't believe that this condition sets any ABS-related code, so the light probably won't turn on. If I were in your situation and in your country, I would just take the vehicle to a Ford dealer, describe the problem (not your diagnosis) and ask them to fix it.

I have a 1998 stock Explorer. I am having brake problems. When the motor is running the bake pedal will sink to the floor under pressure. Motor off the pedal is hard. I also cant do a "crash" stop - no way will the brakes even look like making the ABS engage.

I have taken it to a local workshop and they have checked the wheel callipers, disks, pads and the master cylinder and say they can't find anything wrong and it is probably the ABS unit. They told me to take it to a Ford dealer with an "ABS scanner". I rang 2 Ford dealers and they said if the ABS light isn't on and it isn't then they wouldn't be able to tell me any more about the ABS!

Does anyone have an idea??

Your problem is directly related to the engine running/not running. Have you had the Brake Booster checked for a leak, or torn diaphram....i.e. holds vacuum?

Ryan

Is your brake warning light on?

I have some brake vids in the link in my signature. Might wanna check em out. Sounds like a vacuum leak or a bad master cylinder.

I want to thank everyone for their replies to this. I took the advise and put on a new master cylinder. In doing that I found 2 problems. The first is I had a leaking Speed Control switch on the end of the master cylinder and the second was at the bottom of the reservoir the old fluid was like jelly.

All is now fine - thanks again!

Back