Explorer Carbon Monoxide CO Detector Install | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Carbon Monoxide CO Detector Install

I sure hope I'm wrong but I doubt that many company CEO's deal directly with their customer. Don't they have people that handle those things? Public relations personnel or customer relations mangers?

Peter

A company culture comes from the top down and the CEO must set the tone of the culture for the entire company so that others such as PR and CR can carry out the mission. With that said, it's the perfect opportunity for the new CEO to take care of loose ends or potential safety issues such as this one which were not resolved under prior leadership.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I remember reading somewhere that household detectors wouldn't work in a vehicle. Something about the threshold to activate them being different for home vs vehicle. People were using the little $20 stick on ones instead, that have to be replaced every 6 months or something. Have you looked into that?

I remember reading somewhere that household detectors wouldn't work in a vehicle. Something about the threshold to activate them being different for home vs vehicle. People were using the little $20 stick on ones instead, that have to be replaced every 6 months or something. Have you looked into that?
I have not. I'm not sure what parts per million a household one activates. I will look around for the other ones to compare activation PPM.

Found 3 that are made specifically for vehicles/planes.

Screenshot_20170523-085824.png

Given that the TSB shown here, if you go back a 3rd time to the dealership for same complaints, they replace the mufflers.

It seems Ford is onto something as they designed it to redirect exhaust out the bottom of the exhaust tip.

Screenshot_20170523-090336.png

I guess we'll see, though I think there are people who have had this done that still have the issue.

I'm curious why step two doesn't apply to the Ecoboost engines. There has to be a reason. I would think that rather than pushing the exhaust out of the bottom, they'd push it further out by extending the exhaust tips. There's plenty of room to do so without radically affecting appearance. That seems like it would accomplish more than putting it under the vehicle.

Well, unfortunately today I received a call back from Ford's executive offices. I was advised since my vehicle is out of factory warranty, I am plain and simple on my own.

Well, unfortunately today I received a call back from Ford's executive offices. I was advised since my vehicle is out of factory warranty, I am plain and simple on my own.

They must be awfully confident that if you ever drive your Explorer at WOT that carbon monoxide is not an issue.

It seems like this is almost beginning to be a trend with police departments, which begs the question what is the protocol when high levels of CO are detected in pursuit or driving to an emergency, stop the car and roll down the windows and/or exit the vehicle?

You could get a Platinum ESP and then take it to a dealer. They're doing mine under it.

You could get a Platinum ESP and then take it to a dealer. They're doing mine under it.
Even at 64k miles and being a 14'?

I got mine at 56k. I'll PM you.

Update on this. My Explorer is going back in Monday for them check around the seal of the lift gate for any leaks. It may need to be adjusted. It also seems that the TSB for muffler replacement moves the exhaust tips back a bit further. If this doesn't work, I'll be purchasing magnaflow mufflers and having those welded in, but tips will be a little further back.

Even at 64k miles and being a 14'?

Yes, you can typically get a Premium (not Platinum) ESP if you are under 100,000 miles. However, an inspection is required by a Ford dealer (about $100 out of pocket) and then there is a 30 day grace period before it goes into effect.

The fact that you have this issue documented and it hasn't been repaired, it will not be covered by getting an ESP (it doesn't cover existing issues).

Let me start and say by no means am I defending Ford. There clearly is an issue here and has been for 6 years on the exhaust fumes. But turning to your video, you maxed out at 11PPM (and I'm sure higher if you kept flooring it like you were) with I believe 7 WOT accelerations in a matter of 5 minutes (give or take which is not normal every day driving).

From what I have found is that low/no risk CO is under 40PPM for over 10 hours of exposure and 40-50PPM for 8 hours of constant exposure.

With 6 or 7 WOT runs (again, not normal) in such a short period of time and only hitting 11PPM.. I don't really see any issue for concern. I would be curious to see a few different tests.

1) 1 or 2 WOT (to duplicate a WOT merging onto a highway) and then normal driving on if you maintain a 1-2PPM.

2) Doing 6-7 WOT runs like you did and then driving normal to see if and when it decides to drop down without opening the windows.

I'm also curious on the whole police passing out articles. Every article mentions CO but doesn't say that's what caused it. Even the Doctor's never confirmed that it was indeed a CO issue that caused the cop to pass out and crash. Playing a little devil's advocate but I see all the time how media loves to spin stories on a daily basis (click bait).

Let me start and say by no means am I defending Ford. There clearly is an issue here and has been for 6 years on the exhaust fumes. But turning to your video, you maxed out at 11PPM (and I'm sure higher if you kept flooring it like you were) with I believe 7 WOT accelerations in a matter of 5 minutes (give or take which is not normal every day driving).

From what I have found is that low/no risk CO is under 40PPM for over 10 hours of exposure and 40-50PPM for 8 hours of constant exposure.
https://www.kane.co.uk/knowledge-centre/what-are-safe-levels-of-co-and-co2-in-rooms

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With 6 or 7 WOT runs (again, not normal) in such a short period of time and only hitting 11PPM.. I don't really see any issue for concern. I would be curious to see a few different tests.

1) 1 or 2 WOT (to duplicate a WOT merging onto a highway) and then normal driving on if you maintain a 1-2PPM.

2) Doing 6-7 WOT runs like you did and then driving normal to see if and when it decides to drop down without opening the windows.

I'm also curious on the whole police passing out articles. Every article mentions CO but doesn't say that's what caused it. Even the Doctor's never confirmed that it was indeed a CO issue that caused the cop to pass out and crash. Playing a little devil's advocate but I see all the time how media loves to spin stories on a daily basis (click bait).

The video isn't mine, but I found it on YouTube. I can see where you're coming from though.

Back