Explorer Codes and You. (code help) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Codes and You. (code help)

etc

Dead Inside
Reaction score
City, State
Miami, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT 2WD
Explorer Codes and You. (code help) *402/403/133 Fixed

My check engine light has been on for ages, finally bought a little code reader for 50 bucks (the autozones in my county decided to not let people get their codes read, go miami!). Anywho, the following codes came up : 133 and 402. So, how's gonna be the helpful person to help me clean up these codes?

133- Upstream heated O2 sensor circuit slow reponse (Bank 1)

402- EGR excessive flow detected

The 133 I'm guessing requires changing one of the sensors. Which one? And the 402 makes me go "huh?". The truck is a 96 4.0 OHV btw. Thank kinda kindly in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The likely problem is the DPFE sensor according to the posts here. Just follow the two rubber hoses. The aluminum case sensor is now replaced by a plastic one. I took the old metal one apart when I got a code on my 97. Found large corrosion nodules inside that pressed on the sensor disk. Replacement sensor was about $50.

coolios, thanks guys

If the DPFE sensor doesn't fix the 402, it could also be one of the following items:

EGR Valve
EVR (EGR Vacuum Regulator/Solonoid)
Bad DPFE hoses (clogged/cracked)
Clogged Exhaust manifold tube to EGR Valve

I've swapped all of the above items to no avail (i've got p0402 also). Haven't cleaned out the manifold tube yet, but that will be the next try for me.

Yeah, my hoses were more clogged than an 800 lb man. Cleaned them out as much as I could, but then I got a 401 code also , "too little pressure". So I'm pretty sure it's the sensor, since too little pressure and two much pressure doesnt make sense.

From what i understand about the system, the sensor "senses" the amount of flow and determines when there is too much or too little flow. Because of this, I would think that it isn't the sensor, but they are notorious for throwing these codes. Buy it from Autozone (the sensor is under $50) and if it doesn't stay away, i'd clean it up and return it (say your mechanic told you your existing unit was fine) - i did this and they had no problem accepting the return. *** I ultimately went back and bought another one after i fixed everything else and the code came back.***

Finally got around to buying and changing out the sensor. Problem seems to have been fixed so far, no more check engine light.

DPFE sensor was changed out, NAPA p/n 2-19200 aka EGR Pressure Feedback Sensor.

Thanks for the help guys.

Seems I spoke too soon, well kinda. The 133 code came back, so I'm guessing and o2 sensor should fixt that? And the million dollar question, which 02 sensor is it refering to?

This is sorta off topic, but only sorta:
Can anyone help decipher my codes?:
p1808 (4x4 low malfunction)
c1905 (L/R circuit failure)
c1913 (L/F circuit failure)

etc said:
Seems I spoke too soon, well kinda. The 133 code came back, so I'm guessing and o2 sensor should fixt that? And the million dollar question, which 02 sensor is it refering to?

Right side, closest to the exhaust manifold.

I have the same code in my '98 5.0 and have bought the sensor. My question is; is the sensor closest to the manifold the one just before the Cat, or is there one that i am missing, i noticed there is a sensor in the manifold, but I didn't think that was an O2 sensor.

Nevermind, I got it.

Getting the center console out to get to the connector is a bit tideous, but not too tough.

Back