• Register Today It's free!

Explorer coolant flush

mikespar

Reaction score
City, State
Middleburg, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT
I just bought one of those coolant system flush kits from Prestone. Could someone please tell me which is the heater core inlet hose and which is the heater core outlet hose? (I have a 95 Explorer) I can identify which hose goes to the engine block and which goes to the water pump, but once it goes to the little manifold-do hickey, I'm unsure of the path of fluidat that point. Sorry to sound stupid, but I want to do it right. I'm just starting down the path of trying to do more stuff myself.

The water pump will suck the water from the bottom of the radiator and it gets returned at the top of the radiator. The thermostat is the last thing the water goes thru before returning to the radiator. That being said, you should be able to quickly determine which hose is which.

I've seen mixed reviews on the product. I've personally never used it because cutting a splicing into anything to do with fluid and some form of pressure has never gone well for me lol. I've always done the old garden hose to the heater core to give a clean flush but I usually just drain the coolant through the lower radiator hose.

I had this system, it worked just fine but it helped to have a second person. I didn't have any trouble at the splice, just make sure those hose clamps are nice and tight.

Inlet hose should be warm to the touch I believe once the car has heated up. Double check that somewhere else though.

Back