Explorer Drowns | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Drowns

Reaction score
City, State
Sydney Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XL 4x4 5 speed manual
Hi everyone well i drowned the Explorer over the new year break at a place called Wollondilly River while exploring the tracks in the area, we were following a track that goes over a couple of ridges and down into the valley were the Wollondilly flows. It happened on the return because the track we took came to a locked gate so had to return the way we came, the entry from the other bank was a little steeper and the bank of the river had a bit of a drop into the river which increased angle the car entered the water. It entered at such an angle that the front of the car dissapeared under the water and a wave came up over the bonnet sorry (hood) and over the windscreen swamping the car, it got a bit scarey there for a moment as i had my Daughter in the car with me and the water was filling the car very quickly as well the river was flowing very fast and the car was becoming boyent (spelling) (starting to float) luckly a mate was with me and pulled us out just in time. So there ya go the Explorer is no more our insurer has written off the car $22,000 we got for it, good price as the market value is $18,500 so we have a new 4x4 now a silver Landrover Discovery TD5 manual series II a loverly car and most importantly it will have a "snorkle !!!"(dead links)

No accessories yet they will be added when we take delivery at the end of the week.

Baz.

Not a reg here but you're a hoot!. It is not an amphibious vehicle you know. Injesting water is bad, I guess you can rig a snorkle on an Explorer but it is too late. The Landrover is better set up for this abuse, but I think the reliability is pretty questionable compared to Explorers.

What I am surprised at is that the insurer covers this abuse of a vehicle. No worries (I think that is what you guys say) good luck with the LR, they are neat vehicles.

sorry to hear about the ex, but the good thing is everyone is okay. That is a nice lookin rover, good luck with it.

Back