Explorer Express Rear Sway Bar Bushings Lubrication | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Express Rear Sway Bar Bushings Lubrication

tbirdman

Reaction score
City, State
Sask- Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport 4x4 4.0 SOHC
Hello to all again. I'm in the process of installing the Explorer Express rear sway bar with polyurethane bushings from Energy suspension on my 2000 Sport 4x4. Now- I just read a tech article in June issue of Mustangs & Fords were they outline a neat & practical sway bar upgrade for a vintgae Mustang. In that article- they took the sway bar polyurethane bushing and retention strap & drilled a hole through the strap and bushing. Then - the hole was tapped to fit a standard 1/4" x 28 NF thread grease nipple. Next the bushing was slotted with a hacksaw the width of the bushing inline with the previously drilled hole.When bushing is installed over the bar and the retention strap over the bushing and tightened into place- then synthetic chassis grease is applied at bushing grease nipple.The result is an easy maintenance item for keeping sway bar lubed & squeak free as grease is held in the bushing slot & around sway bar. Neat upgrade. My question- the Explorer Express kit & polyurethane bushings look to be very high quality parts. Is there a problem with the urethane bushings squeaking and wearing over time ? Is such an upgrade warranted or would dressing the polyurethane bushings and sway bar with a liberal dose of synthetic chassis lube during assembly & installation be sufficient? I'm sure many of you have been down this road and benefitted from the Explorer Express sway bar upgrade already. So- if you have any suggestions or insight to installation and long term use- your words & thought would be appreciated.I may still do this little upgrade to the kit- although it will require right angle grease nipple to clear rear shock for access to grease. Appreciate your reading and taking time to answer with constructive & informative views and opinions. Thanks again.

My question- the Explorer Express kit & polyurethane bushings look to be very high quality parts. Is there a problem with the urethane bushings squeaking and wearing over time ?

I have had my EE bar and bushings for over 7 years and it has never squeaked or had any problem whatsoever.

Thanks Aldive- that's the kind of real world information I was looking for-the experience of someone who has used this product long term & with positive results. I take it that you would recommend just lube the bushings & install- and then enjoy the benefits of the Explorer Express sway bar and better handling for the Sport. Appreciate your reading and taking time to answer back. Thanks.

Back