Explorer gets bouncy/kinda like floating above 80mph | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer gets bouncy/kinda like floating above 80mph

That's an Addco bar, custom made. I had them make one for my Ranchero in the late 80's, one size larger than the OEM largest option. I did the same for this one, it's well made, but their hardware is as typical, very poor quality. So their end links I was expecting to have to upgrade, I had an ES kit ready to use with it. Unfortunately they did a very poor job with the frame mount brackets, the radius at the frame was too great, so the mounting bolts could not tighten up fully(the bolt head hit the bracket before it seated, see below). I had two proper brackets made by a local machine shop, for about $25. The frame bushing is special, being such an odd size. That was all in 2007 or 2008 when I first rebuilt the suspension.

The rear bar is much more important, I've had the EE rear bar on it since 2004. I like a firm handling vehicle, so I wanted to try a little more bar than the stock 34mm size. The 1.5mm size is very good, but for some people it may be better to use softer end link bushings. I used very large urethane bushings, bigger than typical end link parts. I'd hunt for that kind of larger bushing in any case. The smaller diameter bushings don;t last as long. I've got about 75k miles on the front parts, the Moog BJ boots have all cracked though, they need help after about five years.

Addco 1.5 front bar frame mount.jpg

Finished RF 1.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The more I think about this topic, the more hilarious it is.

It's an old school SUV, but aged and worn 20+ years, with a narrow and short footprint for its high center of gravity, and someone finds it doesn't handle well over 80MPH?

Please, stay off public roads!

You can mod it, tighten everything up till it handles fine (in a straight line) at over 80MPH, then it is a horrible ride at any speed. Your spine and teeth will regret it.

The same is true of any vehicle, where the design lends itself to a certain max speed and exceeding it, makes for sloppiness.

It is not the right vehicle to use for regular 80MPH+ use. In an emergency sure, but wondering about handling? Again this topic is hilarious.

There is no vehicle with this high a center of gravity, set up stock so consumers would want it for a daily driver, using '90's tech, that isn't a burden to drive over 80MPH.

Your time is not that valuable, no excuse for going that fast. If it were you wouldn't be driving something with a book value under $2k, over 80MPH like you need to get somewhere because time is money. Slow down.

If you find that you frequently have some emergency scenario today, using a 20+ year old vehicle where you need to go over 80MPH, you're making terrible choices in life.

Not only is the topic ridiculous, it's also ridiculous that it took 5 pages of comments. If you can't fix a vehicle yourself to go fast, whether it's the vehicle or you, that's that. Don't go that fast. It would be different if we weren't talking about public roads....

Get off my lawn lol !

It's an old school SUV, but aged and worn 20+ years, with a narrow and short footprint for its high center of gravity, and someone finds it doesn't handle well over 80MPH?

You can mod it, tighten everything up till it handles fine (in a straight line) at over 80MPH, then it is a horrible ride at any speed. Your spine and teeth will regret it.

The same is true of any vehicle, where the design lends itself to a certain max speed and exceeding it, makes for sloppiness.

It is not the right vehicle to use for regular 80MPH+ use. In an emergency sure, but wondering about handling? Again this topic is hilarious.

There is no vehicle with this high a center of gravity, set up stock so consumers would want it for a daily driver, using '90's tech, that isn't a burden to drive over 80MPH.

Your time is not that valuable, no excuse for going that fast. If it were you wouldn't be driving something with a book value under $2k, over 80MPH like you need to get somewhere because time is money. Slow down.

If you find that you frequently have some emergency scenario today, using a 20+ year old vehicle where you need to go over 80MPH, you're making terrible choices in life.

Not only is the topic ridiculous, it's also ridiculous that it took 5 pages of comments. If you can't fix a vehicle yourself to go fast, whether it's the vehicle or you, that's that. Don't go that fast. It would be different if we weren't talking about public roads....

Get off my lawn lol !
You argue a fair point, but I don't agree which is fine. I'm not regularly going over 80mph which I have stated more than once. But if/when I need to, I want it to handle like it did when I got the truck. It was perfectly stable and fine above 85, though something has recently changed. So before you go off on a tangent please read all of the comments on the tread then post.

Get off my lawn lol !
This is an enthusiast and modification site. 80mph isn’t even fast. If there’s nothing wrong with the Explorer the only thing going this fast is an issue with is fuel economy.

Still waiting for some evidence of this “55mph certified speed nonsense”. Not holding my breath, of course.

speed.PNG

All right, that means my SOHC Explorer is capable of going 134mph. Damn, I knew it was fast, but cool, I wonder what the speed limiter is on these?

LOL, speed and SUV's shouldn't be discussed together very much. I have needed my SUV's for work since the 90's, but speed was never a need for any reason. I am working toward a performance SUV project, but the goal will never be to street race or see if I could keep up with some sports car. Whatever I've done to mine has been for better safety and reliability. Better braking and acceleration is a goal too, stock is not impressive. But that doesn't mean everyone is trying to get out on the interstate and drive 80mph, in a pack or commuting, or racing. I have yet to have my SUV's over 100mph enough to find a rev limiter, but I have felt it in my old 86 Crown Vic with the Mustang 302 and stock PCM I used(about 105mph).

Good points Don. IIRC, two door Sports weren't equipped with the axle damper "fifth shock". Would love to see the OP find and install a larger REAR sway bar. Too bad the Explorer Express X-Spec, Addco 633, and Hellwig 7648 have all been discontinued. Made a HUGE handling difference on mine. Not just cornering, but at highway speeds or when windy. Best handling upgrade I've EVER done, nothing else comes close.

View attachment 330103
Guess you missed my earlier post above. Always upgrade the REAR sway bar first. (If you can find one).
May I ask where did you get that beefy thing?I'm definitely interested in any upgrades to improve handling.

...Would love to see the OP find and install a larger REAR sway bar. Too bad the Explorer Express X-Spec, Addco 633, and Hellwig 7648 have all been discontinued. Made a HUGE handling difference on mine. Not just cornering, but at highway speeds or when windy. Best handling upgrade I've EVER done, nothing else comes close.

View attachment 330103

That rear sway bar is the biggest item to upgrade for the safety of all 2nd gen Explorers and the later same rear suspension Sport Tracs etc. That one change is massive in improving the safety at any speed of these SUV's. The rear suspension of these with leaf springs, is very soft at lateral control. The whole back of the truck is swaying back and forth(not just the rolling around CG), because there is no lateral control device, the leafs and mounting shackles do that poorly. Anything that will reduce the body from moving independently of the tires in back, will help a bunch. The body "wraps up" as the truck corners, and "unwinds" as the weight shifts, and it's not well controlled. Roll overs happen for more than just the tall vehicle height and heavy weight. The suspension design has a lot to do with that issue. You can make it better.

Guess you missed my earlier post above. Always upgrade the REAR sway bar first. (If you can find one).
Yeah from my searching it has been hard to find an improved sway bar front or back. The best I've come up with is just installing the poly bushings, which I will do on the rear first since I haven't touched it. I can feel in corners the rear end sways more.

Also I've seen a few people mention a rear 5th shock. My explorer doesn't have one, should it? It's a 4x4 is that means anything.

Use either the ES 4.5153 or Prothane 61132 poly kit. Confirm your rear sway bar size (19mm) by measuring with a caliper, adjustable crescent, or open end wrench. Easy install, but the pressed in stock end link metal sleeves must be removed. Many say this is the best bang for the buck handling upgrade.

Good points Don. IIRC, two door Sports weren't equipped with the axle damper "fifth shock".
^ Page 2 (#25)
This thread is getting so long you're missing some details. ;)

It’s only capable of 134mph on a lift.

^ Page 2 (#25)
This thread is getting so long you're missing some details. ;)
I did sorry, I'm a college engineering student with finals beginning on Monday so most of my mind is elsewhere.

It’s only capable of 134mph on a lift.
I have done 100 in my explorer once, it has the power but it feels like a barn door that's about to take off in a tornado. 134 would be very scary.

_

4875919E-632A-4622-84A5-944353EA37B5.gif

Fastest mine has ever been was during data logging
But at that speed in a explorer you don't take the time to took down

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So the transmission will actually skip a gear with low throttle input that's pretty cool.
It doesn’t actually. The 5r’s “2nd gear” is just first gear, plus a converter lockup. It doesn’t have another gear than the 4r55e, it just has a second converter lockup.

Back