Explorer Issues? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Issues?

1911fan

Reaction score
Hello, new to the forum, I have an opportunity to buy a 2000 Explorer XLT w/SOHC/4:10's and pretty much loaded, very good shape less than 90k miles. After reading some of the posts, it seems like these engines are time bombs, the transmissions are junk, and maybe I should just stick to my jeep. I've owned a 1990 Explorer (new), a 1995 Navajo, still own a 1990 Bronco II and all seem to have been pretty much trouble free reliable vehicles. Whats up with the newer ones, did ford really screw up or what? Considering the number of Explorers produced on a percentage basis maybe these problems seem blown out of proportion. Can anyone please advise me on the purchase of this Explorer? thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The timing chain could be an issue. There are some that go upwards of 200K without any issues, and there are those who fail before they get near 100K.

It's your choice, but like any used car, make sure it's been maintained well by it's prior onwer(s). Have it checked out by a mechanic to make sure there are no hidden suprises awaiting.

Other then that, they are good vehicles.

The timing chain could be an issue. There are some that go upwards of 200K without any issues, and there are those who fail before they get near 100K.

It's your choice, but like any used car, make sure it's been maintained well by it's prior onwer(s). Have it checked out by a mechanic to make sure there are no hidden suprises awaiting.

Other then that, they are good vehicles.

Thanks '98, the vehicle is a one owner and has been very well maintained. I'd be more excited about it if it didn't have the 4:10's. I'm not looking to build it up, I'd much rather have 3:55's could change the gears I suppose, is it worth it though?

2000 Sohc with 4.10 sounds like a good truck to me, However since you have not bought it yet, see if you cant find a 5.0L V8 instead... no timing chain or trans issues with those, same price, same availability.

The SOHC has a bad wrap, most of them go un noticed trouble free until 200K+ miles or so, the 2000 model year is better then the 97-98 versions, the first years of the SOHC IMO

I know a few people with SOHC Explorer's I work on, help maintain, etc and they are good engines, keep them cool, change the oil, etc
The transmissions are hit and miss, again if they are kept cool and fluid/filter changes they last longer.

I think the SOHC drivetrain is okay, but all 3 of my trucks have the 5.0L V8 drivetrain, it is definatley better

2000 Sohc with 4.10 sounds like a good truck to me, However since you have not bought it yet, see if you cant find a 5.0L V8 instead... no timing chain or trans issues with those, same price, same availability.

The SOHC has a bad wrap, most of them go un noticed trouble free until 200K+ miles or so, the 2000 model year is better then the 97-98 versions, the first years of the SOHC IMO

I know a few people with SOHC Explorer's I work on, help maintain, etc and they are good engines, keep them cool, change the oil, etc
The transmissions are hit and miss, again if they are kept cool and fluid/filter changes they last longer.

I think the SOHC drivetrain is okay, but all 3 of my trucks have the 5.0L V8 drivetrain, it is definatley better

410: The 4:10's would be great for offroad - plus it is limited slip, but 99.9% of my driving is on hiway and I'm just trying to squeeze the mpg as much as possible is why I would consider swapping to 3:55's. Maybe this approach doesn't make sense. During the test drive the rpm's were close to 3k going a tad over 70mph. Have a mountaineer with 3:55's and it runs about 2k @ 75mph and gets pretty good mpg considering it's an suv and all. So, would like to have the explorer that at least gets as good mpg. Was hoping for 20 on the highway. Maybe the 4:10's would do it, sometimes an engine working a little easier although higher rpm does better. Possibly someone is running 4:10's that could comment?

410: The 4:10's would be great for offroad - plus it is limited slip, but 99.9% of my driving is on hiway and I'm just trying to squeeze the mpg as much as possible is why I would consider swapping to 3:55's. Maybe this approach doesn't make sense. During the test drive the rpm's were close to 3k going a tad over 70mph. Have a mountaineer with 3:55's and it runs about 2k @ 75mph and gets pretty good mpg considering it's an suv and all. So, would like to have the explorer that at least gets as good mpg. Was hoping for 20 on the highway. Maybe the 4:10's would do it, sometimes an engine working a little easier although higher rpm does better. Possibly someone is running 4:10's that could comment?

My 4.0 SOHC with the 4.10 will easily get 20 mpg on the freeway, provided I don't exceed 65mph. At 70? the mileage drops to 18-19 at best. The majority of my miles are on the freeway nowadays... I do maybe 25% of my miles in-town.

-Joe

the 4 speed transmission will make up for those 4.10, I am sure you can find somebody with a 3.55 or 3.73 rear axle willing to trade!

I swould just put 30-31" tires on it and get all your highway gear back...

If you want MPG put a Taurus E fan on it and an underdrive pulley, of course a K&N drop in and keep your tires pumped up!

At least with 4.10 you can pull up that hill in 3rd-4th, with 3.55 in a 4 door explorer IMO its doggy, 4.10 isnt steep enough for the V6 even with stock tires! LOL although the SOHCS pull nice up to 6800

SOHC = rev happy SOB, its happy over 3000 RPM unlike the older OHV and pushrod 5.0L

That's good to know about the high revs and the sohc engine, some engines are like that. I'm real close to pulling the trigger on this deal, but I'll have to let the Jeep go in the process. What I don't want is to get into a poor mpg issue like I now have. The Jeep is bullet-proof, but is a jeep and fuel mileage is poor. Hunting trips etc get to be looking for gas stations and planning how many miles of boondocking before needing a fill up. Would like longer range, especially on the highway. If I can get what gijoecam does @ 20 mpg I'll be happy. And you're right about the bigger tires, they will offset the gear ratio somewhat. Definately need bigger tires so maybe the 4:10's are the way to go afterall.

Well I bought the thing tonight, will pickup tomorrow morning. Thanks for all the input, made the decision easier for sure. Now I just hope it is one of the "good" ones. With the 4:10's, I'll throw a set of BFG 31x10.50's on it right away and see what that does for the rpm thing at highway speeds, should help some and I have an extra set of tires that came in handy.

My 2000 SOHC and tranny have been great. I am aware that they both known for their share of issues, but I have been religeous about maintaining them both. I learned my lesson about not caring for a tranny on a 93 Sable that crapped out at 80K (Never changed the fluid). Mine has 142K and shifts as good as new...I have always changed the fluid/filter every 30K-40K. Does your truck have the "death rattle"? Don't panic if it does. Mine has gone over 90K with it, so it doesn't mean your engine will be blowing up soon. Good luck and hope you enjoy your new Ex!

Back