• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Oil Filters

Smoktya

Reaction score
City, State
Bethlehem, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 4WD XLT
Has anybody found this type of Oil Filter yet? I have searched high and low and get no hits on it. wal-mart, autozone and National auto don't stock them. i really like using this type of Oil filter and this is the recommended one for the 2011 explorer. Any info would be helpful.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bought my first Motorcraft from the dealer. You can get a WIX at the NAPA store.

Would rather use a Motorcraft so there is no warranty issues. After warranty expires will probably use a Wix.

Found a case of 12 Motorcrafts at EBAY. If I go the 10000 mile oil change recommendation with synthetic oil , the case of filters will last me for 120000 miles.

They use the same filter.

Do a google search for "GMC oil filter test". Interesting reading...

http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/oilfilterstudy.html

Oil filters have as much to do with the longevity of an engine as oil--and there are probably as many opinions on which one to use!

Best oil filters for the Explorer base and ecoboost engines?

I am wondering if there's really a difference in oil filters. I took my Fusion to a local mechanic with the 2.0L Ecoboost and the mechanic slapped on some generic black oil filter of the same number and I put mobil 5W-30.

I am wondering if filter brand really makes any difference as I'm about to get my oil change for the Explorer soon. My Explorer has the naturally aspirated 3.5L Engine and I don't know if I should go for a cheap filter or Motorcraft. Would engine type like having turbos make a difference?

Hard to fault the time proven Motorcraft oil filters, especially for around $5. Unless you are using an extended OCI over 8000 miles, most agree the OEM filters are hard to beat. The link below illustrates the Motorcraft FL-820S, the FL-910(S)
has very similar features and construction. Search the "Bob Is The Oil Guy" (BITOG) forum and you will see.

http://www.bullittarchive.com/5000/5003/Oil_Filter_Cut-Away_Comparison_Kit.pdf

Mine never had the motorcraft oil filter when I did my oil change. And this was on there when I purchased new. I think it was monoco or whatever, never even heard of that brand.
Just replaced oil and filter at 7000 mi. with mobil and fram oil filter.

Mine never had the motorcraft oil filter when I did my oil change. And this was on there when I purchased new. I think it was monoco or whatever, never even heard of that brand.
Just replaced oil and filter at 7000 mi. with mobil and fram oil filter.

Use what ever you want to, but I will never use a Fram oil filter on anything I own. Not even a cheap lawn mower.

Whats wrong with that filter? Used it on several vehichles before with no problems. I could of bought a cheap filter if I wanted too.
Usually run Mann filters but went with this one.

2014 sport,
I picked up 47502
After double checking the fit on their website I noticed they do not mention the specific engine in the sport.

Is the filter the same for the sport and limited?
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back