rantonides

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
Hi,

My Explorer suddenly has had a number of electrical things go at once:
- Brake light no longer comes on when the brake is engaged (It does come on for a second when I start the engine)
- Intermittant wipers don't work anymore
- Daytime running lights no longer function (These were installed when I moved up to Canada, eh?)
- High-beam indicator doesn't turn on

Other than that, the vehicle is operational. I've checked all the fuses. I'm sure someone knows what all these have in common. All these problems happened at the same time.

Thanks for your time.

Rob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would be willing to bet it is a bad multifunction switch. The same part is used to activate your turn signals, activate your high beam, and use your wipers. Mine actually went bad as well and was causing a horrible buzzing noise when activated. Take off your steering column shroud and the multifunction switch should be very evident. The part only costs $50 so I would definitely do it!!
I think there are some pics of the part on this forum. You might want to try a search for the multifunction switch and see if you can find some pics- a picture is worth a thousand words.
Good luck!
Greg

All but the brake light MAY be related to the multifunction switch. Do you ever hear a buzzing sound when applying the turn signal (usually for the LEFT signal)? If so, i'd go with the MFswitch. Other members have "reworked" the signal stalk to repair the intermittent wiper problem, but as RedEB said, do the search for the switch.

If you're talking about the eBrake (parkingbrake) light, it could be that your cables are sticking and/or the brake isn't actually working.

If you are talking about the E-brake light, look down at your e-brake peddle assambly in the drivers foot weel. Up towards the firewall you will see the little sensor with one wire going to it. Inspect the wire and lube the pin up a little bit. Mine was sticking, and so the light was not coming on.

Thanks for the tips. Sorry for the confusion. I did mean the E-Brake light. I don't really hear a buzzing sound with the turn indicator, but I'll replace it anyway.

Cheers.

Rob

I dont know about yours since its a second gen but I know my ebrake light doesnt come on cause the switch mount cracked and its just kind of hanging there.

Back