• Register Today It's free!

4-wheel drive not engaging

apicone

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Explorer
This problem has become progressively worse over time and now the 4-wheel drive will not engage at all.

Before it stopped working, when I pushed the 4-wheel drive button, I could hear a switch (sounds like it is near the jack storage area) clicking briefly after pressing the button. After 4-5 times the light would come on indicating that the 4-wheel was engaged...& it was.

The last time I tried to use it, (and several tests later) it still clicks, but will no longer engage. I couldn't find anything in the chiltons regarding this. Any one else have this happen?

Thanks,

Alex

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have not had it happen but it does sound like the shift motor is not working properly.

Read everything here - Dead Link Removed

To tell you the truth, you're better off goin to a junkyard and finding a shift motor. That way you have two to play with. I got one for $13 at You Wrench It.

I just cleaned mine up real good with alcohol on all the contacts, and it works good as new. Make sure you check the magnets inside too. They can break off and gum things up too. After I cleaned mine, I haven't had a problem since, and that was over a year ago. My advice, clean up yours, cause a junker may be as bad or worse than yours. If you really want to fix it, go to a manual t-case!

Andy

I have a 1993 xlt 4x4 4.0 and mine did the exact same thing. I just put mine in the shop and they said it was some computerized motor or relay or something to that effect mounted on the transfer case. It cost me $450 for the part and a $160 in labor. UUGGHHH!!!

Back