Explorer opens garage by itself?!

Britta-S

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
Hi!
I have a 2016 Sport Explorer, bought in June 2015.
We've never had a problem with this and the garage door opener worked flawlessly but for the last 2-3 weeks, it seems as if the explorer is opening up the garage door by itself?
It only happens when the explorer is "at home". I open the garage with the remote, drive into the garage, close garage with the remote (or the button on the garage wall, doesn't matter) and within 2-5 minutes the garage opens up again. Today in the morning it happened reversed. I wanted to leave, threw the keys in my purse and I hear the garage door open.

Anybody heard of this before and knows what I could do to stop this?

Thanks a lot!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would reset the homelink (remove your programing from the Explorer) first to see if that is what the issue is. Cant say I have heard of this before, might be tension in the garage door opener that is self opening.

I don't recall this happening here before. If it occurs on a regular or predictable occasion perhaps you can try sitting in the vehicle for a time period to see if the little red light on the visor actually comes on when the door 'self opens'. The other thing you could try is to delete the code from the homelink button ( see the Manual) and reprogram it to a different button to see if that fixes this unique issue. Curious.

Peter

How old is your opener? If's it not one with a rolling code, my bet is that one of your neighbors has their code set to the same as yours.

When I first installed one many years ago, I of course, just set to 1-2-3-4. I pressed the remote and the door of next door and opposite also opened! Seriously.

Or.... Your truck is haunted. You might need a Priest.

Good luck.

I didn't get to resetting the opener of the explorer yet, I'll try that tomorrow.

I would agree with the possibility that someone might have the same code, but first, put code is not a 1 2 3 4 and second it just recently started and we didn't get new neighbors ;)

If all fails, I will call a priest for help :p

I had similar situation with my Lincoln LS. First clean the photoelectric sensors just to be sure they are not dirty. In my case one ot tbe wires that went to the wall button broke. And every time a large truck drove by the vibration would cause the wire to contact and the door would open. It wasn't a car thing but a garage door thing.

No priest needed.

So, I didn't find a solution to this yet, but narrowed down when it happens:
If I have my key fob in my purse and apply any kind of pressure to the purse, the garage door opens. I'm able to recreate it, with both key fobs.
No, the little red light on the garage door opener on the sun visor does not light up.

I didn't reprogram the garage door opener in the car yet. The garage door opener itself seems to work fine as well.
It only ever opens the 2 car garage (in which my car is parked and I obviously open this one lost), not the one car garage door. Both doors are programmed to my sun visor opener.

I don't really know how to explain and proof this to the Ford service.

I don't really know how to explain and proof this to the Ford service.

You may have to take someone from the service department for a ride or see if they can meet you at your home and show them what is happening.

where do you keep the garage door remote? Try it with the remote out of the car away from the FOB etc? Does the garage remote have a light on it that activates when operating?:dunno:

Back