Explorer Sport Intermittent 'Thump' at Highspeeds | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Sport Intermittent 'Thump' at Highspeeds

Slnova

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Sport 2dr
Hello,

I have a 2003 Explorer Sport and recently its been having an odd issue.

While driving above 80kph there is a intermittent (randomly timed) thump that feels like its coming from the middle/rear of the vehicle. The noise happens both in 2wd as well as 4x4 but only when above 80 (so far at least). It almost like a hard shift but with no change in RPM or the rear end is running over something and feels like it slows down for half a second.

It has happened on two separate days that were weeks apart and both days were cold and snowing but the roads were clear.

I'm just looking for some things i can check or test before bringing to the shop.

The SUV is completely stock with ~155,000 km on it. Recent work on it includes:

New brakes, new plugs and the drivers front wheel hug was replaced ~6 months ago.

If there is any additional information needed please let me know as i would be more than happy to provide it.

Thank you for reading my post,

Stuart

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check your rear transmission mount is in good condition, the rubber can separate and allow rear of transmission to 'float'.

Sinova , update please....

Hello Bluestream1,

Sorry for the delay in the reply. Yes it was snowing quite heavy both times. I read the link you provided and after I got back from out of town I took a look at the air box as suggested. It turns out that after I got my oil changed a few months ago the air box was not put back together properly. The 3 tabs were not pushed into place before it was clamped down leaving the air box completely open! I put it back together properly but we are now in the middle of chinook for the past couple of weeks, so no snow. I'm sure we will get another blizzard or two this year but it seems very likely this was the issue. Thank you very much for taking the time to reply to my post as I would not have ever thought of a snow flake hitting the mass air flow to cause such an issue.

Stuart

Back