Explorer Sport or BMW X5 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Sport or BMW X5

Based on the 2013 I have, I would buy the X5. Period! I've had two other Explorers, and they were ok, but not this one.........I'm done with Ford...........good luck and best regards Plum
Do you have a Sport? It looks like you have a XLT with the 4 cylinder right? What has turned you against the Explorer?

BMW vs Ford

I got rid of my 5 series touring in favor of the Explorer Sport. The question that you'll need to figure out is how do you want to use either one? Do you intend to carry lots of cargo or lots of passengers - Ford wins. If you're using it as a low passenger commuter then probably the X5. Do you intend on keeping it for 3 years or less - BMW wins, anything over 6 years Ford does. In terms of reliability, I hope that the new BMW is better than my '08 was - it was in 10 times for everything from electrical to fuel injectors (3 separate times), fuel pumps, ignition, telematics, sunroof, etc. The BMW was well thought out, yet poorly tested for durability before passing it into market in my opinion, but at least with the cost savings on the Ford even if all else fails it can help pay for repairs. The Ford isn't perfect, and frankly neither is the X5. The X5 will also undergo a model redesign next year which means a further depreciation factor within the next 3 years. My suggestion is that if you elect to go with the BMW, at the first sign of major trouble trade it in.

Took delivery on my Sport yesterday. Can't say enough about how much I like driving it. I looked at a ton of vehicles including the Acadia, X5 and Q7. The X5 was quickly off the list because of my need for a usable 3rd row. And to tell you the truth I didn't like either of the Germans. They just seemed to be stuck in the past to me (my opinion). My friend has a limited and loved it so much I decided to look at the ex. He has a BMW sedan and Mercedes roadster and likes the ex best. No joke.

There is nothing that compares to the MFT Sync system. Those that complain about it haven't taken the 45-60 minutes to sit and understand it. I sat in the garage and played with it last night. I love the voice control and use it to change stations, make all phone calls and send texts via my iPhone. My neighbor is a big gun with Volkswagen and he said that the ford system is way ahead of everyone else. He said the negative reviews are from the less technical people that don't take the time to learn it. My only complaint is that it can be a slow response on some touch pad features. But once you get used to the speed of it, it's fine.

My kids love the ambient lighting. Seemed a bit stupid to me when I looked at it, but they think its so cool. I use it to keep them in line ("whoever is best gets to pick the color"). I love the smart key where you just touch the handle to lock and unlock. Love the BLIS and Adaptive CC as well.

I love the styling. I got stopped twice today by neighbors. They thought it was a land rover at first (I got the white). It flys too. The power and and handling are phenomenal IMO. I got a great deal - 1200 under invoice + 2500 cash back. 48k sticker was 43k w tax/tags/fees out the door in VA. I feel like they are selling this too cheap. I would have paid 5-10k more for this car. About same price as the limited. Seems like it should be at least 5k+ more for the engine and suspension. The only things you give up are parking assist, power fold rear seats, and rain sensing wipers. Of those, the only thing I wish I had are the wipers.

I obviously highly recommend!

Back