• Register Today It's free!

Explorer ST on a dirt/gravel road

OffroadST

Reaction score
City, State
HUNTSVILLE
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
I've had the ST for a year and love it. Though, I just moved to the country where I have to go down 5 miles of dirt and gravel roads to get to and fro. I will be needing new tires within the next 6 months I'm sure and am running into an issue. I'm unable to find any all-terrain 275/45/21 (bc they don't make any) and will need new wheels along with tires in order to get a better, more durable tread than the stock Pirelli Scorpions. Other than sizing down to a 20" wheel in order to fit larger/more aggressive tires, any suggestions?

20210626_125302.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you can find a 20" wheel that clears your brakes, nitto makes a terra grappler G2 in a 265/50/20 that comes out as a 30.47" tall tire, real close to your 275/45/21's. They are actually a all terrain light truck tire.

This member went 18's. Still looks pretty good IMHO.

I've had the ST for a year and love it. Though, I just moved to the country where I have to go down 5 miles of dirt and gravel roads to get to and fro. I will be needing new tires within the next 6 months I'm sure and am running into an issue. I'm unable to find any all-terrain 275/45/21 (bc they don't make any) and will need new wheels along with tires in order to get a better, more durable tread than the stock Pirelli Scorpions. Other than sizing down to a 20" wheel in order to fit larger/more aggressive tires, any suggestions?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I can't get over how small the wheel looks and all the clearance you have. Looks like a little donut.;)
There are several Winter tires in that size. That would save you having to buy new wheels.
These are shown as all-terrain but not very aggressive. Premium Tires: 275 45 R21 Other off-road tires – Compare prices in United States and buy online | Tires-online.net
Here is a 265/45R21 that would fit and has a somewhat more aggressive looking tread than some tires; https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...45WR1XCV&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I can't get over how small the wheel looks and all the clearance you have. Looks like a little donut.;)
There are several Winter tires in that size. That would save you having to buy new wheels.
These are shown as all-terrain but not very aggressive. Premium Tires: 275 45 R21 Other off-road tires – Compare prices in United States and buy online | Tires-online.net
Here is a 265/45R21 that would fit and has a somewhat more aggressive looking tread than some tires; https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...45WR1XCV&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Peter
Thank you sir!

If you don’t live in snow country, then normal simple AT type tire is fine and Duratrac/BFG AT type tires will be a step too far 4 you.

If you don’t live in snow country, then normal simple AT type tire is fine and Duratrac/BFG AT type tires will be a step too far 4 you.
Thank you for taking the time to read and reply. Do you know if there are any AT tires that come with a 21 inch wheel? That's the only obstacle I'm facing right now😬

I did some looking around and it looks like you are going to have to research different tire sizes even if you drop down to 18, which was my knee jerk reaction to your wheel size dilemma.

fwiw, if it’s a simple dirt road you’ll likely be fine but stone scratches on those black wheels will drive you nuts.

think you should take a look at something like tire rack 18 inch wheels then pick up the phone and ask their team what good alternatives exist in AT that will match your needs. They mount, balance, and drop ship with the right nuts so you can swap them over in your driveway.

I did some looking around and it looks like you are going to have to research different tire sizes even if you drop down to 18, which was my knee jerk reaction to your wheel size dilemma.

fwiw, if it’s a simple dirt road you’ll likely be fine but stone scratches on those black wheels will drive you nuts.

think you should take a look at something like tire rack 18 inch wheels then pick up the phone and ask their team what good alternatives exist in AT that will match your needs. They mount, balance, and drop ship with the right nuts so you can swap them over in your driveway.
I didn't know they did all that. Thank you for your time and advice! I think that's the route I'll go 👍

Back