On Road/All Terrain tires for 20 ST with Street Pack | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

On Road/All Terrain tires for 20 ST with Street Pack

bhorak

Reaction score
City, State
TEXAS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
I'm a 4 time Explorer owner ('98, '12, '16, Sport, '20 ST). I have used a lot of knowledge from the site (windshield noise issues, sunroof leaks...)
I moved from Cali to Texas and am a 1st responder in my POV so am on a lot more dirt roads than I used to be. I have a Smittybuilt push bar on the ST now and am looking to do four or five upgrades:
1. Go to an All Terrain tire like the FALKEN WILDPEAK A/T TRAIL, Toyo Open Country or the General Grabber ATX. We don't have much snow but the On Road/All Terrain style would probably be better for the roads. The selection looks non-existent for my 21" wheels, so I am looking at going to 18"s. I would not mind sticking with the Street Pack 21" wheels if you know of a good option for 21" tires that are good for paved and unpaved roads (I don't plan on intentionally going 'off-roading').
2. Going with the H&R Special Springs to lift it 1.5", or the Traxda spacer 2" lift. H&R hasn't tested on a 2020 ST (they said ST owners generally wouldn't lift it.... but it does work
on the XLT and Platinum and the other models.
3. Buying the 18" steelies/lugnuts/hubcaps from a Canadian dealer (about $170 CAD) and seeing what the shipping would be (Tire Rack has the Raceline Impulse in black for $218 (USD) so I'm not sure what the better deal is.
4. Buying the Timberline skid plate for my ST
5. Buying the Performance tune for the Explorer.

I'd appreciate your experiences and input on these ideas:
1. Which is the better way to get a little more ground clearance? The springs ($600) or the spacers ($340) ?
2. If I do the lift or not, can I put 18's on my ST?
a. Can I put the PIU wheels on it (if so what are the current part numbers for the wheels, lug nuts and center caps?)
I BELIEVE they are LB5Z-1015-B; LB5Z-1130-E; and ACPZ-1012-D. I think I'd be ok without the center cap if these lug nuts work and are black: ACPZ-1012-N
b. If I don't go for the PIU steelies will the Raceline (18x8, +35mm offset) fit/work? $218 (USD)
c. Or the Road Ready 2020-2022 18x8 Ford Explorer Steel Wheel / Rim for $199ea (USD)
OEM Part Number(s)LB5Z1015B
3. Open to any and (almost) all suggestions as to performance, fitment, pricing and looks. (My 98' Explorer had a blowout on the infamous Firestones so I wouldn't put another set of Firestone/Bridgestone tires on.)
I did see the 2021 thread on the ST on Dirt/gravel road but its been a couple years and also considering the lift so thought it might be better in a new thread...
Thanks in advance!

Following, I'm debating between the Wildpeaks, LTX MS2 or Pilot Sport AS4. Big difference in all 3 from mile AT, highway, and all-season high performance.

Back