How to: - 2020 Explorer ST - Performance Tires/Wheels Sizing Guide | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: 2020 Explorer ST - Performance Tires/Wheels Sizing Guide

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Order you some 1.37” long lug nuts. Those 2” are WAY too long.
Not gonna lie, when they mounting them at 7 pm after staying open late to do so for me, i was thinking wtf. But did not want to drive on winter tires any more so let it be. Future upgrade, and will mention that before they put 24s on my F150 later this week.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have seen New take off tires and wheels in the Chicago area from 950 to 1300 US dollars.

I have seen New take off tires and wheels in the Chicago area from 950 to 1300 US dollars.
Thanks that’s helpful, because i listed them for 1300 cdn which is 950 US at today’s rate. Just saw another guy on my local kijiji trying to sell 21 inch Pirelli snow tires with 80% tread for 1800 Cdn so I think I’m priced right.

Edit. Set of four 21 inch OEM tires and wheels for 950 to 1350?!!!! You should have bought them, you could have made a quick 2 to 3k!

The best price i saw on OEM takeoffs was 500 US per wheel for the wheels only and they were sold out. In Canada the dealer was going to cut me a “deal” for only 1100 per wheel, LOL!

Not for OEM 21’s and tires. If so show me a link and I’ll start buying them tonight.

Anyways to get this thread back on track, my total cost for the wheels, tires, TPMS, too long lug nuts, mounted, balanced and installed, was $3500 cdn, so a little under $2600 US. Not too bad an option given the cost of another set of OEM rims or something else decent in 21 inch.

Going to put the original tires up for sale. The place where I bought the 22s from said he would list the 275-45-21 Pirelli Scorpions for $1700+GST new, so $1785 Cdn (say $1300US). Since they have less than 200km on them (say 120 miles), I think I am going to list them on kijiji for $1300 (around $950US). Does that seem reasonable?
You can also list them in our For Sale subforum and in the Classified section.

Peter

Order you some 1.37” long lug nuts. Those 2” are WAY too long.
Problem solved!
wheel.jpg

Much better.
I agree. Thanks again for the suggestion i had 24s put on my F150 yesterday and they were going to do the same thing so i called them midweek and had them get the smaller nuts for both. For anyone who also owns an F150, here is how they look on 24s in 305-35-24 Falken Ziex tires. I’m very pleased with the ride despite having concerns about it (stock is 20 inch).
1C3000CD-CADD-44E0-BD02-5FD2B81F9697.jpeg

Oh man, thank you for this post. I just purchased a 2020 Explorer ST and my first thought was it needed bigger/wider wheels and tires for this performance SUV. I was having no luck searching the net until I found this post.

I’m not a car guy with extensive knowledge (just love driving high performance vehicles) so some of this (like the offset) is beyond my level of expertise. I just wanted to know how big and wide of wheels I can put on this thing WITHOUT rubbing issues. This SUV has a great turning radius and I don’t want to encroach on that.

I knew initially that I would be going with a 22” wheel. The width was the unknown. I really like the look of the 22 x 11 wheels you went with. So the only difference you would make from your original purchase is to change the offset to 35?? And I saw a poster talk about spacers for the rear wheels. What does that do and is that something a tire shop has and can add? And finally, from your experience, do you believe the 22 x 11 with the offset of 35 would fit with zero rubbing on a full turn? And what size tire?

Thanks again for posting this. Very informative and helpful. I almost wish I could speak with you directly as I have a myriad of questions. But any additional comments here would be greatly appreciated. 👍

Also, if the 11” width is super close to rubbing, should I just go with a 10.5 width. These wheels would have to be custom ordered which can’t be returned, so I want to make sure I’m right the first time. Thanks again, Brad

Your best bet is 22x10.5 at +30 if you want them dead flush with no rubbing. +35 if you want them inset a little also with no rubbing.

Your best bet is 22x10.5 at +30 if you want them dead flush with no rubbing. +35 if you want them inset a little also with no rubbing.

Thanks for the response. It’s the offset I don’t understand at this point. What does it do and what’s the difference between +30 and +35? What specifically do you mean by flush and inset and to what? Sorry, just don’t have much experience with this. Thanks.

Welcome to the Forum Surfside. :wave:
Keep in mind that when going to a larger tire, it typically should not exceed a 3% maximum diameter variance compared to the OEM size.

Peter

+35 will be just shy of 1/4” further inset than a +30 10.5” wheel. Offset is the distance from the wheel centerline to the face of the mounting hub. As that number changes so does the relationship of how a wheel fits a vehicle. Higher numbers move them in, lower numbers move them out.

Welcome to the Forum Surfside. :wave:
Keep in mind that when going to a larger tire, it typically should not exceed a 3% maximum diameter variance compared to the OEM size.

Peter

That’s largely irrelevant. It’s way too easy to correct the Speedo for tire diameter.

That’s largely irrelevant. It’s way too easy to correct the Speedo for tire diameter.
It affects more systems that the speedometer. It affects Traction Control, ABS and can put extra pressure on the brakes and suspension, not mention possible warranty implications.

Peter

It affects more systems that the speedometer. It affects Traction Control, ABS and can put extra pressure on the brakes and suspension, not mention possible warranty implications.

Peter

If you want to over exaggerate things...sure. Except when you correct the Speedo it doesn’t. This is the modification forum....why is the staff always in here raining on everyones parade? People doing mods are generally aware of what could happen...and were ok with changing things anyway.
Aside from that...this whole thread is talking about wider tires, not taller. Wider tires won’t affect anything you rattled off.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you want to over exaggerate things...sure. Except when you correct the Speedo it doesn’t. This is the modification forum....why is the staff always in here raining on everyones parade? People doing mods are generally aware of what could happen...and were ok with changing things anyway.
Aside from that...this whole thread is talking about wider tires, not taller. Wider tires won’t affect anything you rattled off.
You'd be surprised how many have not been aware of what some mods can affect, especially the Warranty implications. BTW, a wider tire also affects the overall ratio.

Anyone is free to ignore such posts which are just an FYI anyway.

Peter

Back