Explorer ST vs Palisade Limited | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer ST vs Palisade Limited

Just my opinion of course, but much of the TARP money, what we call "bailouts", that was provided to American businesses during the subprime mortgage debacle was secured with shares in the companies. In many cases the U.S. Government was able to sell those shares and actually make a profit. All in all, it was a financially successful program and far superior to the disaster that could have occurred otherwise. What angers me is that the bankers that created the problem were not held criminally liable.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I agree, I love the black package on that one. My wife likes the Palisade more though so we are trying to decide between the best Palisade or the more sporty/aggressive all black ST. I just want to make sure whichever we get we make the right decision and dont run into any issues since we just had our first child and plan on having this vehicle for awhile. I also wanted the fun factor since im getting rid of my performance model 3 for the SUV we end up deciding on.

You have to test drive both...the current gen Explorer is full of issues, these go beyond just normal issues you'd find in a 1st year product....I got rid of mine for a F150, had tons of electrical issues and the transmission went from acceptable to not acceptable as it learned my driving style - one morning, the transmission simply decided to stop shifting at about -15F.
Another thing I chose to overlook as well was the quality of the interior - absolutely subpar for the excessive price Ford charged me. The Palisade feels more like a luxury vehicle...

I can see why Ford is reducing prices for 2021...but the interior needs a redo.

FYI:. Ford is edging toward the brink of bankruptcy.
Not, correct. They could be hurting like all other companies, due to this pandemic and other reasons. They did the right thing by getting rid of CEO Hacket, he would have destroyed Ford.

It seems we are drifting off the subject of the thread.

Peter

Thank God for Asian brands. If it weren't for their competition in the 80's & 90's, the American brands would have kept on making the same garbage they'd been selling in the malaise era. Asian brands force the US brands to keep up with competition. EVERY car sold these days is objectively 'good'. That wasn't the case 40 years ago. There's more options for consumers today than ever before, due to competition. America is at its best when we're forced to compete. Buy what you like. Everyone wins.

I looked into the kia and hyundia versions when buying the Ex and the underpowered engine alone put me off. Otherwise it seemed like a potential solid choice. I also have heard some horror stories of their warranty in my area where people are denied warranty if the dealer doesn't do all the maintenance etc. Also used, the warranties get cut down, so only the initial buyer gets the full advertised warranty.

Really?? The TT ecoboost engines in the SHO and F-150 have held up well over the last 10 years, if you are referring to the direct inject side of things as long as you know what you are in for they are easily taken care of if you know what you are doing. Using the VW DI engines from 10 years is like comparing apples to cat turds.
Most of the people that are anti turbo seem to be over 60 and think all turbo engines perform like they did in the 80s.......

The reason some of us like 400 hp in a people carrier is due to their current curb weights 250-300 hp in a 4800# suv is down right dangerous to move that much mass. Until the manufacturers get serious about weight reduction similar to the F-150 they are going to need to keep increasing power so the vehicles can get out of their own way, hell look at the CT5 that thing is a joke and its a sedan.....

This opinion is coming from someone that has owned an I-4, turbo'd flat 4, supercharged 5.0 V8, NA 6.2, 3.5 V6 and a TT 3.0.

I would love to go back to V8'ing all the things but sadly those years are long gone outside of a few performance cars and those numbers are dwindling fast.
"Held up well" is a very subjective term. When the eco boost ***** the cam timing gear, that sensor or any part of that garbage, the cost of fixing does not equal "holds up".
It's why I traded the 13.

Not talking about motors, but in general the Explorers are falling apart, and Ford simply doesn't care. The steering rack is out in my limited 2013. 2k later it will be fixed (next week) now the fix is about $200 more than the past because Ford now calls for replacing a bunch of bolts (which aren't torque stretch and weren't needed in the recall) but yeah Ford needs to screw the owner a little more to make 200 off of f'ing bolts to pay for their trouble of fixing a ****ty part.
Hyundi and Kia have shown that they run forever.
To think people think these brands are "new".
Remind me when Ford had a 100k bumper to bumper.
Yeah never.
I'm a Ford fan, but getting kicked in the balls over and over makes for a dose of reality.

"Held up well" is a very subjective term. When the eco boost ***** the cam timing gear, that sensor or any part of that garbage, the cost of fixing does not equal "holds up".
It's why I traded the 13.

Not talking about motors, but in general the Explorers are falling apart, and Ford simply doesn't care. The steering rack is out in my limited 2013. 2k later it will be fixed (next week) now the fix is about $200 more than the past because Ford now calls for replacing a bunch of bolts (which aren't torque stretch and weren't needed in the recall) but yeah Ford needs to screw the owner a little more to make 200 off of f'ing bolts to pay for their trouble of fixing a ****ty part.
Hyundi and Kia have shown that they run forever.
To think people think these brands are "new".
Remind me when Ford had a 100k bumper to bumper.
Yeah never.
I'm a Ford fan, but getting kicked in the balls over and over makes for a dose of reality.

Umm hyundai and kia don't have 100k bumper to bumper. That's the powertrain. And as a previous owner of a Hyundai, their warranties come with many caveats.

Given the issues that Ford has had with the 2020 rollout, it might be helpful if they consider lengthening their basic warranty.

Peter

Umm hyundai and kia don't have 100k bumper to bumper. That's the powertrain. And as a previous owner of a Hyundai, their warranties come with many caveats.

I read and heard about the issues with them denying warranty coverage for things that a American manufacturer would have covered. This and the lack of power on the Kia/Hyundai turned me off them.

I recently traded in a 2015 Sport with 140,000 hard miles on it. I even tuned it and ran the heck out of it. Very reliable. Did a couple recalls on it, but didn't cost me a dime.

I just picked up a new ST with the street pack a few months ago and all I can say is I am very happy with it. I have already tuned it and its a rocket. Love the rear wheel drive again. It is bigger inside and much quieter than my 2015. On trips at 80+ I get about 21MPG. Handles better than the old Sport. The Sync 3 is slow at times, my only complaint.

^^Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Back