• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Towing Capacity?

phacade gsx

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Eclipse GSX
I've been thinking about buying an Explorer as a 2nd vehicle and am having trouble finding the towing capacity ratings for the various models/years. Does anyone know the specs?

Originally I was planning on buying a 4Runner, but I found out that they really suck for towing. I have heard that they have trouble towing even a 3000 lbs load. My plan is to tow my DSM on a trailer with the Explorer. The total weight on these items should be around 5000 lbs. Has anyone had experience with towing this kind of weight? How well did the Explorer do? Were you barely making it up hills?

Thanks.
Marlin Liew

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

4.0 Litre, 3.73 Gears, Tow-Pkg (auxiliary trans cooler, and at least a class 2 hitch), Automatic and you'll tow 5,500Lbs max.

May be slow but you should have no prob. I tow a 22' boat with a 350 small block no problem...trailer doesn't have brakes either. Not sure of the weight but it is over 3000 lbs.

I think most models the manual says around 3500. Higher weight does stress the tranny more, but the frame, motor, etc can handle it. One problem with high weight loads though is developing a rear sag in the suspension. You can offset that with helper springs, roadmaster active suspension, addaleafs, and air shocks.

how far and often are you gonna use it for towing?

I probably won't be towing anything out of state, but most of the tracks in CA are in the valley and are maybe 500 miles from San Diego.

I don't plan on doing this that often. Maybe once every couple of months.

Marlin

With that load, you might be happier with a 1/2-ton or 3/4-ton pickup. With my '97 Mountaineer V8, I have pulled my college roommate's '67 Mustang on his tandem axle trailer before he installed the trailer brakes before, and I strongly recommend the trailer brakes with this weight anyway, especially with an Explorer. Don't worry, I was mainly in town; therefore, I was driving slowly, but his '90 F-150 351W 4x4 does a better job. I feel more confident with a bigger vehicle. On the other hand, that was before I installed the air springs; so it might be better since I can now level the vehicle off & use the electric trailer brakes that he installed now.

If you go the Explorer route, I would say a '97-'01 V8 (for the tougher transmission and the extra low end torque) with 3.73 LS and tow package. Mods that I recommend are removing air silencer & installing a K&N filter, exhaust, but no more than 2 1/2-in. single outlet, B&M Electronic shift controller, air springs with the onboard air compressor, auxiliary transmission filter, transmission temp guage, class III/IV trailer hitch, and electronic trailer brake controller. I don't have the exhaust due to a lack of a job now, but I have everything else on that list above, and it's the tow vehicle that my family has. Actually, it's the best driving vehicle that my family has. But, I'd strongly recommend those mods if you got the full-size truck anyway. E-mail me if you are serious about towing heavy loads with an Explorer. Avoid the V6 with that load since it doesn't have the low end torque and has a weaker transmission.

I have found with my Explorer, if you hitch it, it will tow it. I havnt had any problems towing anything, the largest being a 35' tripple axle dual car hauler with one car on it. That was an interesting day. The Explorer lugged it, but we didnt have to go far. I have towed tandom axle car haulers loaded with a car all over the place, and other than accleration/brakeing loses, it has served well...

I pretty much have what jjue said, 5.0, 3.73, tow pkg, K&N, class 4 weight distributing hitch. I pull my 20' enclosed car trailer with my 427 Cobra in it about 3X a year to a local track.

I wouldn't even try to move that load without trailer brakes. In fact, my brake controller has a remote I hold in my hand and use ONLY the trailer brakes. I only have to go about 35 miles to the track, but if I had to go much further I'd save my Ex and use an old F-350 with a 460 in it.

The weight distributing hitch makes it ride like on air, it is nice and smooth. Trailer wants to fishtail when a semi goes by, but a quick touch on the trailer brakes and it's right back on line.

Other problem is finding extension mirrors that will cover the 8-1/2 feet width of the trailer on such a narrow truck.

P.S. - I also have a B&M shift improver, helps it not "slide" between gears, it shifts hard.

I would definitely get the V8 if I could but that is a little out of my price range. I'm looking to spend around $4k, so I'd have to make do with the V6 if I got an Explorer.

I'd rather have an SUV than a pickup just because 90% of the time I'll just be using it to drive around town and haul groceries. If it will tow what I need it to good enough, I can live with it until I can afford a better truck.

Marlin

towing capacities

I think it's somewhere around 4600 lbs for the V6 and 6500 lbs for the V8. THe weight and tongue weight are on the bumber, but on my V8, it has the V6 rating. A trailer with brakes is what I've heard to go with (I'm getting a boat). I don't know how important the remote control is for brakes if you will have a constant load. If you anticipate trailering differnt loads, might be a good idea. Add-a -leaf or leveling springs and better shocks are a good idea. The ass-end of the X-s seems too plush for real towing out the door. Make sure you at least have a tranny cooler. I never heard anyone else talk about the shift improvers. With a V6 and a load of 5000 lbs, you might want to look into it though.

Back