• Register Today It's free!

Explorer XLT 02 Body Lift

JOE M

Reaction score
City, State
Melbourne Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT
Guys, I have been reading about some of you wanting to lift an 02 XLT and saw the picture of a lifted one, my brother inlaw has an 02 XLT explorer and wants to lift his vehicle to get a bit more clearance. As far as I know, I don't think much can be done with the suspension, mind you on my 1999 explorer, I have cranked up the torsion bar on the front independant suspension to give me about 2 inches of extra lift. I'm not sure why this shouldn't be do-able on his 02 independant suspension, but I haven't had a proper look yet.

As far as the body lift and bigger tyres, I was wondering if anyone has had any luck finding out about if there is an "off the shelf" body lift kit that can be used or modified to suit an 02 XLT. My brother inlaw is very happy his truck and can live with the lack of wheel articulation, but he wants to get some extra height if he can.
If anyone knows or finds out, I'd really appreciate it and from some of the discussions, i'd say many others would too.

Cheers

Joe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You cant do a TT to a 3rd gen at theres no torsion bars. There is a pic floating around of a lifted 3rd gen xls that i beleive used a body lift from a ranger, but some parts should have to be fabricated. currently theres nothing you can get off the shelf to lift a 3rd gen. Somebody had 32's on his 3rd gen (sorry, i dont remember who) but they were 1/2 worn when put on the truck. If im not mistaken nothing was trimmed, but some of the wheel well was zip-tied to the frame to make clearance.
As far as stuff in development the onlything thats known is that Rancho is suposadly developing a suspention lift kit to give us something, (speculation puts it at under 2") as was anounced in a press release a while backbut not much has been confirmed. Last i had talked to them i was told maby somethin will be anounced in the fall.
Feel free to email them about it, maby more interest being shown will help things out.

Rancho

thanks for that, I'll contact Rancho and see if I can get some more information for him.

Cheers

Joe M

Thanks Chris, i ran a search but for the life of me couldnt find the post.
Aparently i had 2 posts blended together in my recoleection, BenS has the 285 75 R16s, and kablam (10 posts down from the pics) with 265 70 R17s was the one talking about the zip ties. My bad guys if your reading this.

Man seein BenS's pics again really makes me want to get some lift and tires on this thing.

JOE M said:
Guys, I have been reading about some of you wanting to lift an 02 XLT and saw the picture of a lifted one, my brother inlaw has an 02 XLT explorer and wants to lift his vehicle to get a bit more clearance. As far as I know, I don't think much can be done with the suspension, mind you on my 1999 explorer, I have cranked up the torsion bar on the front independant suspension to give me about 2 inches of extra lift. I'm not sure why this shouldn't be do-able on his 02 independant suspension, but I haven't had a proper look yet.

As far as the body lift and bigger tyres, I was wondering if anyone has had any luck finding out about if there is an "off the shelf" body lift kit that can be used or modified to suit an 02 XLT. My brother inlaw is very happy his truck and can live with the lack of wheel articulation, but he wants to get some extra height if he can.
If anyone knows or finds out, I'd really appreciate it and from some of the discussions, i'd say many others would too.

Cheers

Joe

Hi Joe

I have an '03 model Explorer and am looking for the same thing (a bit more height). As I am in Australia, I just thought I'd let you know that there is nothing going out here either. The best bet is to chase the manufacturers in the USA and hassle them to death. Thennnn maybe they will give in and make one for the 03 model, ship it to Australia so I can lift my car as well.

Best of luck, keep me informed if you have any joy.

Cheers

Louise.

It might be better to cut the fenders and install fender flares to accomodate the bigger tires. Or, maybe a fabricator will make fiberglass fenders with bigger wheel openings, like Fabtech did for the 1st generation Explorers.

Bob

Front what I've seen of a body lift on a 3rd gen, the frame is real visible and in my opinion, doesn't look very good. I have heard of a Rancho kit coming out but who knows if they will ever release it.

I have 05 explorer, looks like i'm in the same boat.. no off the shelf lift options... can we stick a 32 bfg mt on a stock 3rd gen without it rubbing ?

I have seen a lifted 02 XLS. The ad said its lifted 6". If some can explain to me how to post a pic in a reply I could show ya.

Back