Explorer XLT - Is this jerk/lunge common? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer XLT - Is this jerk/lunge common?

mw40xlt

Reaction score
City, State
Northglenn, co
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020, Explorer XLT
Yesterday was the 1-month mark for my new 2020 Explorer XLT 2.3L not a V6 (638 miles on it now). I've waited for the day to buy my explorer, was so excited and wanted to love it but... I'm not. After a few days of driving, I noticed an awful jerk/lunge from 1st to 2nd. It's terrible and literally you feel it in your body. So I thought perhaps the issue was Ecoboost and having to get used to that. Turned it to "normal" and it still does the same thing. When stopping, similar feeling especially approaching a light or stop sign. Reverse is just as bad. As soon as you put into reverse, the car rocks. Basically once I'm on the highway I love the Explorer. In the City, I'm truly hating my purchase.

I had a friend with me on the test drive and we did not notice this at all (I didn't use reverse during the test drive). Perhaps we both missed it paying attention to other aspects. I had a checklist with features, things to compare, etc.

I called the dealer and they said the first time getting used to the Ecoboost and throttle takes some time. OK, I was trying to go with that. After a bit of digging, I found a review on the XLT that it's not a smooth ride and complaints about lunging.

This past weekend I noticed the dashboard would show the wrong direction (example it showed N when I was heading south). Thought I was losing my mind but picked my mom up and she noticed then the dash showed a different temp than the radio screen. That's been continuing off and on. I called the second time and asked about bringing for service and a ride along with a mechanic. Not an option now with COVID. I told them about the new dashboard difference and wondered if perhaps there is a computer flush/update that needs to be done. Got a chuckle from the service writer but he scheduled me to come next week.

I'm wondering if anyone else with an XLT finds the jerky and lunging excessive. Do you notice the XLT having a rough transition between 1st and 2nd? I appreciate input from this forum and would love any insight beforehand.

Help me love my Explorer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
The 2020 Explorer appears to have quite few issues. I don't know about the "lunging" part but there is a FSA (Filed Service Action) on the transmission.
See this thread and see if that is what you are experiencing; FSA 20B19 Transmission Shift Hesitation

Peter

@mw40xlt

Sorry to hear about your transmission (and other) problems!

Use the website SEARCH feature (top right hand part of this webpage - click on the "magnifying glass")

Enter the search parameter "transmission" and then to the right of the box click on the arrows, a drop down list will appear, choose "this forum" and then click SEARCH.

The result will be that You'll find quite a lot of end user transmission "experiences" that you're looking for.

You also might want to start reading the "buyback" threads, so that you get a complete understanding how important it is to document the problem(s) that are occurring - just in case...

Good luck with your dealer/service writer & hope that helps -

Mine seemed a little jerky at first I suppose.
My sensitivity to the transmission's characteristics was heightened after reading numerous threads/posts on the subject.
I've been watching it with a jaundiced eye...but nothing to report other than she's as smooth as a baby's bottom right now at ~3,000 km (~1860 miles).
I'm wondering if it has something to do with the learning process.

@mw40xlt

Sorry to hear about your transmission (and other) problems!

Use the website SEARCH feature (top right hand part of this webpage - click on the "magnifying glass")

Enter the search parameter "transmission" and then to the right of the box click on the arrows, a drop down list will appear, choose "this forum" and then click SEARCH.

The result will be that You'll find quite a lot of end user transmission "experiences" that you're looking for.

You also might want to start reading the "buyback" threads, so that you get a complete understanding how important it is to document the problem(s) that are occurring - just in case...

Good luck with your dealer/service writer & hope that helps -
I used "Search", then "Advanced search" and then from the next page I select "Search threads" and then enter "Keywords"
and scroll down to the "Search in forums" and then scroll down and select "Display results as threads".
This way you will be able to target which forum you wish to search. If you are unsure where the topic is posted, you can select for example "2020- 2021 Explorer - Aviator" and it will search all the subforums under it.
By selecting "Display results as threads" you only pull up the actual threads and not every post. This reduces the results from 12 to 4 pages.
Either way works and will provide the info that is desired.

Peter

Thank you to all of you for your comments and support. I wanted to give an update on my original post.

Today I went to the dealer to have someone ride along with me. (after having to reschedule twice) The tech was really nice but basically after a long drive with me driving and then switching to the tech driving, the verdict is I'm an "aggressive" driver. :) It seems I have to adjust to not having a v6 engine. The tech did experience the jerking taking off from a stop sign/light. But thinks it's because I press too hard on the gas pedal on takeoff, which is causing the jerk. I will say the engine is such a change for me. Between the loud engine and now the sensitive coddling it requires, I miss the v6. I'm committed to loving my Explorer. As the tech suggested, I'll take the next two weeks to be mindful of how I drive. If it's still doing it, he said to come back. He also mentioned, the 19 avg on the gas could be my drive style too. I shall adjust my drive style to the Sunday driver and hope things improve.

I would encourage anyone looking at the Explorer to really pay attention to your test drive.

I seriously doubt that it's your driving style. I have had 2 Explorers with the 2.3L ecoboost engines, and they were very smooth shifters. Yes, the 2.3L takes some getting used to because I always had the V-6 engines, but gas mileage is a lot better, about 19 city and 25 on the highway, so it's worth the trade-off. It sounds like you actually have a transmission issue that that could take a reprogram, or could be a valve body issue. Don't let it die without getting satisfaction from Ford.

Thank g
I seriously doubt that it's your driving style. I have had 2 Explorers with the 2.3L ecoboost engines, and they were very smooth shifters. Yes, the 2.3L takes some getting used to because I always had the V-6 engines, but gas mileage is a lot better, about 19 city and 25 on the highway, so it's worth the trade-off. It sounds like you actually have a transmission issue that that could take a reprogram, or could be a valve body issue. Don't let it die without getting satisfaction from Ford.
Thank you. I’m taking next Friday off to go to the dealer I bought it from. They are a bit of a drive from me but I’m hoping for a better outcome. I have another car in the household
With 2.3l turbo and never had an adjustment (my SUV the Explorer replaces was a v6). I’ve discounted the notion it’s my driving because the same issue occurs when stopping. I appreciate the encouragement to keep trying.

There are way too many people complaining of trans shifting issues with the 2.3 for it to be your driving style.

Was your Explorer built in December 2019 or January 2020? If it was, there is a Ford Customer Satisfaction TSB for reprogramming the transmission module. Ford sent a notification to all dealers in April 2020 to reprogram the transmission module on all 2.3L Explorers in their inventory, that were built in December 2019 and January 2020, before delivery to the customer. Any owner that took deliver before the April notification, should take their Explorer into the dealer for the reprogramming.

I’m still pushing for a fix but getting nowhere. My neighbor who is a mechanic for a different manufacture offers to go on a ride. He said while the transmission does seem to hesitate a lot from first to second, the jerking and ride issues he feels are the result of poor suspension. That does make sense in many ways. I’ve noticed you feel everything in this car. At a light, the car rocks heavily (not just a little) as people go by. When stopping it’s like you feel it from the back to the front. Well, I’m starting to realize it’s the way it’s going to be and in a year hopefully I can afford to get rid of it.

Yesterday was the 1-month mark for my new 2020 Explorer XLT 2.3L not a V6 (638 miles on it now). I've waited for the day to buy my explorer, was so excited and wanted to love it but... I'm not. After a few days of driving, I noticed an awful jerk/lunge from 1st to 2nd. It's terrible and literally you feel it in your body. So I thought perhaps the issue was Ecoboost and having to get used to that. Turned it to "normal" and it still does the same thing. When stopping, similar feeling especially approaching a light or stop sign. Reverse is just as bad. As soon as you put into reverse, the car rocks. Basically once I'm on the highway I love the Explorer. In the City, I'm truly hating my purchase.

I had a friend with me on the test drive and we did not notice this at all (I didn't use reverse during the test drive). Perhaps we both missed it paying attention to other aspects. I had a checklist with features, things to compare, etc.

I called the dealer and they said the first time getting used to the Ecoboost and throttle takes some time. OK, I was trying to go with that. After a bit of digging, I found a review on the XLT that it's not a smooth ride and complaints about lunging.

This past weekend I noticed the dashboard would show the wrong direction (example it showed N when I was heading south). Thought I was losing my mind but picked my mom up and she noticed then the dash showed a different temp than the radio screen. That's been continuing off and on. I called the second time and asked about bringing for service and a ride along with a mechanic. Not an option now with COVID. I told them about the new dashboard difference and wondered if perhaps there is a computer flush/update that needs to be done. Got a chuckle from the service writer but he scheduled me to come next week.

I'm wondering if anyone else with an XLT finds the jerky and lunging excessive. Do you notice the XLT having a rough transition between 1st and 2nd? I appreciate input from this forum and would love any insight beforehand.

Help me love my Explorer.
I just bought a 2020 Ford Explorer. I also notice the Lung during acceleration. My car also does this rocking back and forth after coming to a stop. It rocks back and forth 5 or 6 times before settling down. Never had a car do this before. In addition the car likes to drift out of lane when driving on the highway, you have to keep both hands on the wheel or you find the car drifting. It’s a pain in the rear.
amyone else see these issues? I took it to the dealer today, he said they are seeing a lot of problems with the 2020 mode year.
😢

definitely think it is a transmission programming issue, as our 2021 doesn't do this.

Besides the fit and finish issues the 2021 has been flawless mechanical wise.

This might not help or will not but i have 2011 which was the previous generation.
Mine did it from the beginning and never resolved . anyway at 185k i still drive the wheels off that thing and fly around. Still does it to this day. i am real good at producing it. Its like a double step shift experience.

I just bought a 2020 Ford Explorer. I also notice the Lung during acceleration. My car also does this rocking back and forth after coming to a stop. It rocks back and forth 5 or 6 times before settling down. Never had a car do this before. In addition the car likes to drift out of lane when driving on the highway, you have to keep both hands on the wheel or you find the car drifting. It’s a pain in the rear.
amyone else see these issues? I took it to the dealer today, he said they are seeing a lot of problems with the 2020 mode year.
😢
Welcome to the Forum Ron. :wave:
Please report back as to what the dealer found. Thanks.
BTW, you have an XLT, not a CLT. ;)

Peter

😢

These issues are a real thing.

The trans acts as if it's suffering from either low fluid or a slipping torque converter. When you're parking and you put it in reverse, you really have to WAIT like a full 2-3 seconds, before you let your foot off the brake to start reversing otherwise it will rock back and forth. Same as if you're coming out of reverse and into drive. It's annoying. My 1-2 shift is smooth when the temps are at full operating range. But it doesn't matter if the car is cold or fully warmed up, when driving and coming to a stop, those downshifts are very jerky. Your body moves with the movements of the car as it's downshifting. You can even see your passenger's body move too (especially if they don't know). The 2-1 downshift is very bad. I've kinda gotten used to it but it's still annoying.

That's how the XLT drives in my opinion. And reading all these posts, i know i'm not going crazy.

Don't get me wrong, i still like the EX. But i don't love it. I wanted to love it because it's my first owning (well i leased) an SUV. And so far this didn't make a good first impression. I'm hoping revisions and improvements are made over the next 2 years because i don't know if i'll be back with another explorer lease. Might have to jump ship.

These issues are a real thing.

The trans acts as if it's suffering from either low fluid or a slipping torque converter. When you're parking and you put it in reverse, you really have to WAIT like a full 2-3 seconds, before you let your foot off the brake to start reversing otherwise it will rock back and forth. Same as if you're coming out of reverse and into drive. It's annoying. My 1-2 shift is smooth when the temps are at full operating range. But it doesn't matter if the car is cold or fully warmed up, when driving and coming to a stop, those downshifts are very jerky. Your body moves with the movements of the car as it's downshifting. You can even see your passenger's body move too (especially if they don't know). The 2-1 downshift is very bad. I've kinda gotten used to it but it's still annoying.

That's how the XLT drives in my opinion. And reading all these posts, i know i'm not going crazy.

Don't get me wrong, i still like the EX. But i don't love it. I wanted to love it because it's my first owning (well i leased) an SUV. And so far this didn't make a good first impression. I'm hoping revisions and improvements are made over the next 2 years because i don't know if i'll be back with another explorer lease. Might have to jump ship.

We have experienced some fit and finish issues with our xlt as well. The drivers side wheel liner was not seated properly. Also one of the rear park sensors was not installed correctly. It was misaligned and lucky it was an out board one so the whole bumper did not have to come off. I bought another one for 30 bucks cause the wife didn't want to be without a vehicle and did it myself. They are painted at the factory so I was able to just pop the seal off and replace that. 30 bucks for a park sensor seal is lol but now I have a back up I guess.

Other than that everything is good. Hopefully nothing else breaks

I am about to write a post about similar experience. There is a bulletin that was released November 19, 2020 that I dont think is the same as the ones being posted above. This one is labeled 10R60/10R80 - Harsh Engagement/Harsh Shift/Delayed Shift with or without DTCs.

Mine shifts very rough from 1-2 or 2-3. I am not sure which and it seems to be right when we leave the house and then not so bad. Will write up more in my post.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am about to write a post about similar experience. There is a bulletin that was released November 19, 2020 that I dont think is the same as the ones being posted above. This one is labeled 10R60/10R80 - Harsh Engagement/Harsh Shift/Delayed Shift with or without DTCs.

Mine shifts very rough from 1-2 or 2-3. I am not sure which and it seems to be right when we leave the house and then not so bad. Will write up more in my post.

The first rough shift happens if you start driving right after you start your vehicle. Once it warms up a bit it should be reasonably ok. At least I have that in mine, don't know if it is normal or not.

Back