rhauf

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
91,93,98,&02 Exploders
Just to warn you guys....

i went wheeling at gorman this weekend (just got back) and took my explorer through one of the new deep water holes (my 37's were under water) of course, it was high enough to splash into the air intake a little and it stalled (didn't hydrolock though).

i tried to crank it, but the starter just clicked. i got dragged out of the mud pit and pulled off the starter.. full of muddy water. so i cleaned it out really good, put it back on, cranked very slowly.. hitched a ride to the auto parts store and bought another one, problem solved. ($120 later)

a couple hours later saw another first gen explorer driving toward the mud hole.. he got towed out.. same problem. he also needed to get a new starter.

two in one day!! so you have all been warned.. don't drown your 4.0OHV starter in deep muddy water or it will fail.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does your explorer still have all the stock intake set up?

Yeah those starters don't like semi solid ice either, I went wheeling one day and it was really muddy and slushy out, then it got down around 10 degrees the next few days.

Needless to say, when I needed my explorer to start, it didn't mainly because water had gotten inside and frozen. Pulled it inside and started right up. Still put a new starter on for peace of mind.

Mine has been drowned in water/mud many of times and is still kicking just fine.

Maybe we just got unlucky? or maybe it was the amount of mud/grid mixed into the water. it was some pretty nasty stuff.

Does your explorer still have all the stock intake set up?

Yes, its the stock intake. although I think im going to run it up and out the hood an inch or so. (yes, i realize the stock intake location is horrible for forging through water)

That was my problem for a long time before I figured out that lol.....I also do not get mud in my started as of now :)

Mine still has some electrical gremlin when it gets wet. Im not sure what it is but mine loses all power when something gets wet.

My explorer hate's water. I had to unhook the factory alarm because it got so bad when it rained it would go off, preventing me from starting it until it sat with the battery unhooked over night. A week before I disabled the alarm. It sat at a local speedway for three days over this issue. Finally I pulled the trim away from the back drivers side near the shift modular and started pulling plugs until I got it to start.

As for the starter issues, I had those. Replaced the starter solenoid then went through two starters before it finally started again. Would just sit and click. By the way the two starters were both brand new ones from NAPA.

I've had a tick in mine ever since sucking up some water....

Back