• Register Today It's free!

dies when wheelin' through water

hatched91

Reaction score
City, State
godfrey, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 sport ohv 5spd
whenever i drive in the rain or on really wet roads, my truck acts fine. When i drive it off-road in mud or anything of that nature, it's fine, but when i get into a decently long stretch of water that is about 2ft deep, my truck dies like it's trying to suck up water. keep in mind i have 3" body, 6" sus and 33's, the intake is in no way under water, but it could have water splashing up to it. Any solutions on how to fix my problem without building a big snorkel that goes up my A pillar?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Depends on the speed. If you have a fair amount of speed going into it, the water is most likely splashing onto the distributor and causing it to stall.

Souds like something is getting wet....

i've had mine stall when driving pretty fast thru about a half foot of water...

ya know getting all the waves up from the sides... its fun...

airfilter was dry...

figured it was the distributer getting wet... what to do to prevent that... i dont know ...
just dont drive fast in water -_-

Check your intake, it may have leaks in it. It may be sucking water.

Does it stall and then crank up fine right after? Or do you have to wait a little bit. Usually if the distributor gets wet, you have to dry it off and/or wait a little bit to get it to crank again. That's why people occassionally leave a truck sitting in some of the mud holes around here and come back the next day, crank it up, and get out without a problem. :)

Some of the guys that are big with muddin' use a coffee can (or something similar) to seal around the distributor. Just an idea if you do that a lot..

If it's your distributor, then you have a serious problem...like an extra part. Our trucks use DIS...

Back