Extended Warranty-What can I expect to break? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Extended Warranty-What can I expect to break?

kevinapg

Reaction score
City, State
Jupiter, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport
I have a 2000 Ford Explorer Sport 2 door SOHC auto tranny.

I'm nearing the end of my 3/36,000 mile warranty and am looking into aftermarket warranties. From what I've read, the extended warranty coverage you buy from Ford is inferior to others like Warranty Direct. It also costs a lot more.

Anyone have experience with extended warranty companies? I can get a 100,000 mile / 5yr warranty for $1500 from Warranty Direct and the fine print looks better than 1sourceautowarranty or warrantybynet.

What typically breaks on the SOHC's during this time period?

Transmission? AC? Antilock brakes?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Be sure and read over the exclusion list before you purchase the warranty if you can. If not, then read it as soon as you get it so you can cancel the policy if it has something in it you don't like. I got screwed out of most of my warranty claims with Warranty Gold since they have an exclusion for anything the manufacturer has issued a Technical Service Bulletin on. On the Explorer that just about means everything. Then just when I was about to break even on my costs, they wanted receipts showing that I have had all maintenance done per the MFG schedule. I didn't change my fuel filter at the recommended interval so they turned me down for replacing a bad wheel bearing. I haven't attempted to use my warranty since.

One major thing you want to watch on after market warranties is the fact that some will no cover gaskets and seals. I know on the 4.0Ls in the 91-92's gaskets were a major problem. I have heard that 1sourceautowarranty sucks **** Everyone knows that the transmissions on EXplorers are not very good either. I have replaced my tranny twice now. Go figure.
If I were you I would check with Ford. I know they have some type of warranty that you can purchase if you do not let your truck go out of the factory warranty. My brother-in-law was talking about a warranty he could get for his Sport Trac for about $1600 (I think).

I have the Ford Extended Service Plan (they have a website somewhere) and it has covered plenty of stuff no questions asked. They replaced the transmission on mine and the starter and the rear wiper and some other small things. All we do is pay a 100 dollar deductibe per visit. So if we have a small thing we just let several small things build up then take it in :-D. I would reccomend them to anyone.

Reading fine print is a must... many warranties don't cover interior problems, electronics, and such... Be careful, and remember, the price you pay is usually the best indicator of the service you will receive.

Back