Extending Breathers for wading | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Extending Breathers for wading

captainfire576

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer 4.0L
Can anybody tell me how to extend my breathers on the diffs and transmition on my 1998 Explorer for wading. If not can some one point me in the right direction please?

Buy longer hoses. Route the end of the hose somewhere high. Leave slack in the diff tubes for suspension movement. Secure the hoses while allowing those that need to move the room to move.

Can anybody tell me how to extend my breathers on the diffs and transmition on my 1998 Explorer for wading. If not can some one point me in the right direction please?

When you saying wading, how deep are you planning on going? There is a limit, then you'll need a snorkel.

Go to the auto parts store, purchase some vacuum hose of the needed diameter. Either replace the existing breather hoses with longer hoses, or extend them using plastic hose connectors (found in the HELP section) or even short pieces of metal brake/fuel line. Hose clamps optional.

Get rubber hoses as long as as you want to go under, fit them where the standard hoses go, stick the valves from the standard hoses on the end of your new hoses.

Other things to look out for if you're wading deep is the cooling fan.
It will act as a screw in the water and pull itself into the radiator.
Another thing is the dip stick and the engine electricals.

Old style diesels work better for deep crossings as long as NO water goes down the air hole.

Back