Exterior Door Trim Replacement or Restoration? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Exterior Door Trim Replacement or Restoration?

ZackDMcCormick

Reaction score
City, State
Hackett, AR
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Sport Trac
I'm looking to possible fix or find replacement trim for the outside of my sport trac. Anyone have experience with restoring them or finding replacements?

20210523_153410.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have a link to the page? I tried to google parts guru and the only thing I could find with the name specialized in coffee makers.

Thanks so much for looking it up. I was unsure what they were called. It'll make it look much better, at least in my eyes. Thanks :)

You might check a site called Car ID. I seen some for f-150's on there may have them for your S/T.

They are a bit more expensive than some others, but everything I ever bought was good stuff.

Is this clearcoat paint or that infernal ford piano black plastic?

If the alternative is to replace them anyway, the quick/easy attempt is use a power buffer with a fine compound to buff them out. If the fine compound still leaves behind prior deeper scratches, switch to a rougher compound, but with a power tool don't leave it in one place too long so you don't build up too much heat, then once down through the scratch depth, switch to finer compound and then a polishing sealant, or if it was clearcoated paint then top with a 2k clearcoat spray. I might start with only the polishing sealant by hand (no buffing compound yet), just to see what that does.

Another alternative is rough it up slightly then mask and spray paint, especially since it doesn't need to color match anything adjacent to it.

Painting them can be a nice weekend project.

Back