Exterior Lights Stay On

Explorinum

Reaction score
City, State
Catskills
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 ST
Hello all and hope everyone is safe.

Last Wednesday, we picked up our ST and are still in the looong break in period.

But that gives me time to set it up, play with the settings, try to take it for drives to do any errand and more importantly, spend money online and with Benny - wife will be amused when she gets the credit card bills.

Last night after taking it out for a drive and parking it, I noticed a situation with the headlights.

I had the lights set to the headlamps on mode [not autolamps] as there was enough light but I still wanted them on.

After parking and locking it, the lights stayed on as I expected. However, I thought that after a while, they would shut completely off. The headlamps did shut off after a while. But the parking lights stayed on. I believe I gave it a good 5 minutes and went out to manually shut them off.

So, I know that the lights automatically get set to auto when you turn the engine on. In the manual [yes Peter, I read it :)] that they will shut off after a period of time after the ignition has been turned off.

But in the scenario above, will they [at least the parking lights] stay on indefinitely or did I not give it enough time?

I went through all the settings in Sync and did not find anything near this.

Thank you for your help and stay safe.

Jay

In that mode of the headlight setting switch the lamps will stay on. You should have gotten a warning chime indicating the headlamps were on. They will remain on until the system determines that leaving them on will drain the battery to the point of a problem. Then it will shut them off.
TBill

Hello all and hope everyone is safe.............................................................After parking and locking it, the lights stayed on as I expected. However, I thought that after a while, they would shut completely off. The headlamps did shut off after a while. But the parking lights stayed on. I believe I gave it a good 5 minutes and went out to manually shut them off.........................................

Jay
Hi Jay. Glad to see that you read the Manual. ;)
Although I wasn't able to find the info in the Manual (yet), if the parking lamps are set up the same way as they are in the 5th gen., the Battery Saver program will NOT shut them off. I'm guessing that may be due to safety reasons such as having to leave your vehicle along the side of the road or use the 4-way flashers.
Stay safe.

Peter

Thank you both TBill and Peter:

As I'm relatively new to the Ex, I assumed [again] that the bells/chimes at the end were just the normal ones with the ignition off, door open etc.

Will try to make mental notes about this as our other non-Ford car does shut them off after a while.

Stay safe...

Jay

Back