External Front Lamps always on?

Popov

Reaction score
City, State
Moscow
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer "Limited +"
Hello!
On a 2018 Explorer "Limited plus" I cannot find a way to turn off ALL lamps when the engine is on. Even in the "no lamp" position, there are orange lightings. No way to stay completely dark with engine running?

Thank you, and merry Xmas for Catholics!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you talking about the outside front lights? On some of the early model years the orange parking lights also doubled as DRL (Daytime Running Lights) which by law in some places had to be ON at all times when the engine was ON. I'm not familiar with the Limited+ but here the 2018 has the DRL on the low beam. Does your Explorer have the option to turn DRL OFF?

Peter

Yes, outside front lamps. Not sure what is the DRL, I have an "automatic mode" for lights, but when I turn off the button for lights, the orange parking lights are ON if the engine is running.
When I drive, if I do not turn ON manually, the orange lights remain, Leds do not turn ON automatically. In any other position, Leds are ON and orange lights OFF.

So there are always either orange, either Leds, and I would like an option with NO light :)

There is no setting that will allow you to turn OFF all front lights. DRL are always ON during the day where the law requires it for improved visibility. It is the law here in Canada and some European countries. The small band of LED lights around the headlights are called Signature Lights. There has been some debate as to whether you can turn them OFF using a tool called Forscan. There are several threads on that. Forscan allows you to change some factory settings.
I just checked mine and stand corrected. The orange lights on mine are the turn signals. With the lights switched to OFF, only the Signature Lights are on. Have you read through your Owner's Manual to see what it says about the orange lights? It is difficult to compare our Explorer with the export ones that likely have different features/options.

Peter

Yes, outside front lamps. Not sure what is the DRL, I have an "automatic mode" for lights, but when I turn off the button for lights, the orange parking lights are ON if the engine is running.
When I drive, if I do not turn ON manually, the orange lights remain, Leds do not turn ON automatically. In any other position, Leds are ON and orange lights OFF.

So there are always either orange, either Leds, and I would like an option with NO light :)

DRL - лампы дневного света, в Вашем случае эта функция выполняется подфарниками, потому они и врубаются при включённом зажигании даже если переключатель находится в позиции О. Не знаю какая там на Соллерсовских машинах конфигурация, но если это можно выключить через компьютер, Ваш дилер может это сделать.

Thank you,

Back