Extra hole on James Duff axle pivot bracket | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Extra hole on James Duff axle pivot bracket

Byrd91

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Penobscot, Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
I just got a James Duff kit used and the passenger side axle pivot bracket has an extra ear on the front side with an extra hole in it. The think is there is a larger rectangle hole in my frame that overlaps where I would drill a new hole for the extra bolt. Does anyone have any information on what I should so here. Thanks.

Byrd

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Send Brett (Modified Explorer's moderator) a PM about this one, he's installed like 5 of those Duff kits....

If you have a hole that doesnt line up with anything I would drill and install a bolt. But ask Brett first....he knows....

You drill a hole there. We have the 2.5" lift and that was one of the steps we had to do.

One thing to watch for.. I dont' know if you will get as much front suspension travle as we did.. but if you can, rotate your tie rod end adjuster sleeve (passenger side) so the bolts to NOT face back. If they face back and you get enough suspension travel they will hit/grab the drop bracket and bend the ear piece.

We did that once.. Since then I insist they rotate it towards the front when they align the truck.

~mark

Oh and one more thing, Duff gives you that spaced to go under your spring, we have found that you only want to install this baby on the drivers side, then the truck will sit level....if you install both the pass side will be higher then the drivers, weird hua?

Oh and if you install the F-150 spring seats now you can get an additional 1-5/8"lift and only have to align it once, of course only certain alingment shops can even do it right, they kept trying to tell me there is no way, nobody makes a shim larger then 2.25 degrees, BS I now have 2.75 degree shims in there and it is aligned perfect......

Maniak is right on both, you have to drill a hole for the extra ear on the duff bracket, and make sure the tie rod adjuster lock bolts arent to the rear, if I remember tomorrow I'll yank my pass side wheel off and snap a few pics of it all together :)

Another James Duff question for you guys.... I bought it used as you know, and the top few turns of the coils are very close together( a couple mm's maybe) at no flex. Does this mean they are worn out?? Or is that part of the progressive design. Seems like it would make a lot of noise, but I haven't heard anything yet, so I guess its ok. Thanks.

I don't remember the coils being that close (a few mm)..

here is a pic of my stock spring next to the Duff spring when new (but not on the truck).. it is possible that they are that close when installed.

coils.jpg

~Mark

Got the extra bolt in today, and also rotated my passenger side coil to the right position, which fixed the coil problem, at least to the same as the driver side. They are still fairly close, but nearly as bad as before. The passenger side coil didn't seem like it wanted to sit in the right position the other day for some reason, but I tried it again tonight and that helped. So all is good for now. Allignment tomorrow, my steering wheel is off about 45 degress. :)

Back